- $500 Sign On Bonus
- Competitive Wage
- Medical, Dental, Vision Plans
- Paid Time Off – Including Vacation, Sick and Mental Health Time Off
- 401(k) w/ company discretionary match
- Employee dining and wine discounts
- Referral Bonuses
Under the general direction of the Chef de Cuisine, the Pastry Chef works with the Little Saint team members to carry out the daily activities of the pastry department including development, preparation, and execution of dishes, and training, development, and management of the culinary team.
- Development, Preparation, and Execution of Dishes
- Assist in developing and implementing the pastry menus for the restaurant, including daily specials utilizing surplus product and efficient use of trim.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards of the property.
- Be prepared to expedite service efficiently and effectively, maintaining the proper pace and food quality. Work closely with the expeditor and service team to ensure the integrity of the guest’s experience.
- Help place orders with farms, purveyors, and other entities for the menu and daily operations.
- Ensure the overall product for the cafe is in good quality on a daily basis.
- Work collaboratively to ensure continuous improvement in quality of guest experience, service, operational effectiveness and efficiency, employee training and retention.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and come prepared to contribute to ideation sessions.
- Training, Development, and Employee Management
- Manage the pastry team, ensuring that direction and guidance is provided and quality standards are achieved.
- Continually mentor and provide opportunities for growth and advance the education and development of staff as it relates to food, wine, service, technique and agriculture.
- Understand and effectively communicate all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines, and training programs to staff.
- Administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules, standards and procedures.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, and termination of employees, in conjunction with HR & CDC
- Provide extensive training and mentorship for new hires to help them assimilate into the company’s culture and understand expectations.
- Responsible for pastry / culinary payroll management of all culinary team
- Schedule labor as required by anticipating business activity while ensuring all positions are staffed when and as needed while controlling labor costs and efficiency. Modify staffing as needed based on volume and demand.
- Work with Director of HR to maintain training manuals, safety program, and to schedule and conduct periodic employee evaluations
QUALIFICATIONS FOR SUCCESS
- Minimum 4+ years of culinary pastry management experience in a fine dining atmosphere
- Commitment to quality, excellence, and genuine hospitality
- Highly organized and self-motivated, with the ability to manage multiple priorities under time constraints
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently
- A person of integrity; fair and consistent
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time, and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- The ability to stand, walk, climb stairs, stoop, bend, reach with hands and arms
- Flexibility with a schedule that includes evenings, holidays and extended hours
- Good math skills, and computer proficiency
- To have a positive impact, taking responsibility and initiative to resolve issues, always clearly communicating with leadership team and team members
- To be decisive, accepting responsibility for making things happen, thinking ahead, and developing contingency plans
- To be an active listener, remaining present and open, providing verbal, non-verbal, and supportive feedback, and showing our respect and empathy with one another.
- To be motivated and committed, approaching all tasks with enthusiasm and seizing opportunities to learn new skills or knowledge in order to improve your performance
- To be flexible, responding quickly and positively to changing environments
- To maintain high team focus via cooperation and support to other team members in the pursuit of department goals
- Be a positive role model and demonstrate the ethos of Kyle, Katina, and the management team
Each of the items listed is considered to be an essential function of the role. However, this list should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities of the position. Little Saint reserves the right to alter the duties of this role.
Little Saint is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Little Saint is committed to hiring a diverse workforce, sustaining an inclusive culture, fostering an environment of continual improvement, and offering opportunities for growth and career development.
About Little Saint
In the heart of historic downtown Healdsburg, Little Saint is an uplifting gathering place where food, music, art and conversations are good for the soul, the earth and our community. Anchoring the 10,000-square-foot Little Saint is a full-service farm-forward restaurant, cafe and wine shop from esteemed restaurateurs, Kyle and Katina Connaughton of three Michelin–starred SingleThread Farm and Restaurant. The building also hosts inspiring live music and conversations with thought leaders as well as a series of film screenings and performances to benefit local artists and our farming community.