SENIOR SOUS CHEF
Hackney Wick | 45 hours
The Senior Sous Chef will take responsibility for the day-to-day running of the kitchen alongside the Head Chef. You will drive a positive, efficient kitchen workspace, and demonstrate a passion for MOTHER’s menu and company ethos, striving for creativity, sustainability and excellence in our food.
- Create and maintain a positive, creative working environment in the kitchen.
- Work with the Head Chef to track food sales, to create and follow daily and weekly production schedules.
- Follow prep book recipes to create food for the cafe, delivery and any external events.
- Ensure that the standards for first class food delivery — including how it looks on arrival as well as how it tastes — are being followed by the whole team.
- Deliver training to the kitchen team on new dishes and processes.
- Assume responsibility for prep and service in our Hackney Wick kitchen when the Head Chef is away or off-site.
- Support the Head Chef on the creation of new dishes and recipes.
- Oversee service across the cafe to ensure it is being carefully followed by all team members.
- Ensure that kitchen production for MOTHER is always to the highest standard and completed in a timely fashion, including any for deliveries, events or outposts.
- Work with the General Manager and Head Chef on stock checks, ordering and deliveries.
- Lead on kitchen health and safety procedures; following correct labelling processes, opening and closing checklists, temperature checks.
- Ensure that any broken equipment is reported in a timely fashion.
- Ensure the kitchen remains organised with all equipment and stock stored in its correct place. Orchestrate regular clear outs/decluttering.
- Clean and maintain all equipment and kitchen areas.
- Report any issues to your team leader.
- Receive deliveries and put away stock.
- Allocate stations/tasks to the team per shift.
- Maintain a waste log.
- Look for efficiencies in production and report on these regularly.
- Communicate regularly with the Head Chef and kitchen team, directly and through detailed handovers at the end of each the day.
- Contribute to the weekly MOTHER Operations Meeting, with our Head Chef, Operations Manager, and Front of House Managers.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
The right candidate for this role will have:
- Passion for and commitment to MOTHER’s vision and values.
- High standards for quality and efficiency.
- A proactive and solution-focussed attitude.
- At least one year of experience working in a leadership role, in a busy kitchen environment.
- Ideally some experience cooking plant-based, plant-forward food.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and use initiative when required.
- Capable of working independently and in a small team.
- Good grasp of written and spoken English.
- Good numeracy skills for stock checks and orders.
- Technological skills to use apps and spreadsheets.
- Food Hygiene Certificate: Level 2.
- Right to work in the UK.
- Competitive salary.
- Supplier visits and team training.
- 45 hour / 5 day working week.
- 30 days annual leave plus your birthday off
- Delicious staff food and drink on shift. Plus 30% off at any other time, and 10% for your friends and family.
- Be part of an innovative and growing plant-based business.
- Regular staff socials.
MOTHER aims to bring you accessible organic plant-based food in an eco-conscious environment.
MOTHER is feeding the revolution, for health, and the wealth of the planet. Less waste, more love, there is no time but the present to be aware and awake.