Terms of Employment: Full Time, Permanent
Reports to: Executive Director
Position Location: London, UK
To encourage and collaborate with major restaurant chains, retailers, food service companies, food manufacturers and producers to adopt and strengthen farmed animal welfare policies.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Research which food companies in each sector have the potential to impact the most animals, review their current animal welfare guidelines, and prioritise outreach
- Translate template outreach materials and draft new outreach materials as necessary
- Cultivate relationships with and maintain contact details for executives at major food companies
- Consistently engage with companies—providing research, news stories, connections to animal welfare experts, and other relevant materials—to persuade them to adopt animal welfare policies
- Prepare and deliver compelling presentations to persuade companies to adopt animal welfare policies and represent our corporate outreach efforts at conferences and other forums
- Serve as a media spokesperson for corporate outreach program and brainstorm compelling angles to promote corporate outreach work in the media
- Stay informed of industry trends and initiatives, mergers and acquisitions, the expansion of companies into other locations, and the diversification of their businesses
- Stay up-to-date on the latest science that informs the animal welfare standards for which we advocate, including holding dialogue with animal welfare experts, scientists, and veterinarians, and updating those standards as necessary
- Stay current with the latest progress in the corporate outreach space and collaborate with other groups working toward the same goals
- Conduct administrative duties such as scheduling travel and submitting expense reports
- Manage budget and ensure appropriate spending
- Evaluate and measure program efficacy and efficiency and suggest areas for improvement
- Minimum of two years of experience in public affairs, corporate affairs, government relations, issue advocacy, grassroots campaigning, political organising, communications, psychology, sociology, marketing, business, or related field
- Sophisticated negotiation skills and proven ability to persuade or motivate others
- Social adeptness and strong interpersonal skills
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Vision, insight, creativity, and a strategic outlook
- Initiative, resourcefulness, adaptability, and an unbeatable work ethic
- Exceptional level of organisation, efficiency, and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines without sacrificing accuracy
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Thorough knowledge of farmed animal issues
- Professional appearance and adherence to a vegan lifestyle
- Commitment to the objectives of the organisation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Docs
Salary and Benefits:
Salary band £30,000 – £35,000 depending on experience. Benefits include flexible working hours and casual office environment.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on 28th September. Initial informal telephone conversations will take place with Dr Toni Shephard, Executive Director, during w/c 1st October. Shortlisted candidates will thereafter be invited to formal interviews on 15th and 16th October in Old Street, London.
Animal Equality is an equal opportunities employer; we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or age. We are especially keen to encourage applications from those currently under-represented in the movement including: black and minority ethnic people; people with disabilities; lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people; and women in senior positions. We are also proud to be a Disability Confident Committed employer and we will endeavour to accommodate any reasonable adjustments that individuals may require throughout the application process.
For informal enquiries, or to apply for the position, please email email@example.com or call our team on +44 (0) 207 993 5348. Applications should comprise a full curriculum vitae, an accompanying cover letter, and answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to work for Animal Equality?
- What will you bring to Animal Equality?
Animal Equality is a registered charity (England and Wales), no. 1168309.
About Animal Equality
Animal Equality is a registered charity (no. 1168309). Present in eight countries, we are one of the leading farmed animal protection organisations in the world. Our work comprises undercover investigations, corporate campaigns, political outreach and the development of large-scale education programmes. Our vision is a world in which all animals are respected and protected.