Part-time: 20 hours/week; telecommute
VegFund seeks a motivated, creative, and curious Communications Associate with two or more years of experience writing informative and strategic content and possessing a passion for vegan/plant-based living to serve as a vital member of a growing nonprofit organization. VegFund supports vegan activists to spread a compassionate, responsible, and impactful vegan message to the greater public.
The Communications Associate is charged with the following core responsibilities:
- Researches and writes long-form content. VegFund publishes long-form content in the form of blogs, stories of grantee activities, resources for vegan advocates (e.g., guides, “how-to” articles, etc.), and white papers or similar materials. The Communications Associate is responsible for researching (collecting information through online research and/or interviews), drafting, and finalizing long-form content in collaboration with the Communications Director, as well as participating in topic brainstorming with the VegFund team.
- Assists in developing concepts for, drafting, and/or editing marketing content. The Communications Associate works in collaboration with the marketing communications staff to strategize, develop, draft, and/or edit content and visual materials for VegFund’s audience for distribution through VegFund’s marketing channels.
- Prepares and publishes website content; assists in updating/maintaining website. The Communications Associate drafts website written content (blogs, news, stories, events calendar) and preps (as needed) and posts associated visual assets (photos, videos, infographics, etc.) for publication on VegFund’s WordPress website and assists in scheduled site maintenance and updates.
- Assists in special projects as needed. VegFund special projects may include work on search engine optimization (SEO), organizational/archiving tasks, information research, compiling or consolidating data, etc.
- Assists in maintaining an editorial calendar.
- A minimum of two years of experience writing and editing marketing communication collateral and website content with the ability to write clear, compelling, and professional content — from instructional content to “storytelling” — while maintaining VegFund’s “voice,” branding, and messaging guidelines. Writing includes website copy, blogs, stories, newsletter material, print content, etc., and collaboration on email and social media content.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including familiarity with one or more major style guide, including The Chicago Manual of Style and/or the Associated Press Stylebook.
- Ability to develop content that supports established communications strategies and engages defined audiences; creative in finding new ways to convey VegFund’s message.
- Ability to work to established schedules.
- A curiosity about and ability to stay abreast of current trends and developments in the areas of animal rights and plant-based/vegan living, as well as the relationship of our food systems to environmental and human health.
- Familiarity/experience with the following programs: WordPress, Gmail, Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Dropbox.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Independent work ethic and ability to stay on task without constant oversight.
- Ability to collaborate effectively and productively in a telecommuting position using various online communication channels and to adjust schedule when needed to collaborate with co-workers on both Eastern and Pacific Time.
- Ability to work 20 hours per week.
- Availability to travel to 1–3 times/year to represent VegFund at conferences as part of the VegFund team or for staff events/meetings.
- Passion for plant-based/vegan living and animal rights. VegFund strongly prefers a vegan candidate.
Additional experience useful for this position:
- Familiarity with concepts of website and content “usability”
- Knowledge of or certification in content marketing
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn Slack and Asana and to develop a working familiarity with other VegFund platforms (grant management and client management programs and online discussion forum)
- Familiarity with social media platforms, especially Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram
- Knowledge of website/content search engine optimization (SEO)
- Knowledge of basic photo editing and preparing illustrations and videos for online publicationSalary and benefits:
This position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Professional bonus available based on work performance.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that describes your professional goals, your interest in VegFund’s mission, and your knowledge of and/or involvement with plant-based/vegan living.
VegFund is a non-profit grant-making organization that provides over $1 Million in grant funds to thousands of activists around the world each year. VegFund’s mission is to support vegan activists through grant funds and capacity building to spread a vegan message and achieve a world free from harm of all animals.
VegFund provides grant funding for food sampling, film screenings, vegfests and health fairs, conferences, and learning events. Founded in 2009, VegFund recently launched a new website, new grant management system, and a new community forum, all in an effort to grow our grantee base while better understanding the impact of the work of our grantees. We seek a candidate willing to help us utilize these new tools.
VegFund does not currently have an office – all organization employees work remotely, based around the world in DC, Portland, Mexico, the UK. As such, the ideal candidate would be independently motivated and willing to work from home.