Title: Head of Communications
Reports to: Director of Operations
Location: London or Berlin preferred; Remote possible
Deadline: September 9th 2019
Beyond Carnism is a US-based, international organization dedicated to exposing and transforming carnism, the invisible belief system that conditions people to eat certain animals. Beyond Carnism is the first and only organization that focuses exclusively on carnism, making it a pioneering and landmark institution and a hub of international carnism-awareness activity.
Inspired by the writings of our founder and president Melanie Joy, our programs and campaigns are innovative and powerful, and have been proven to have a significant global impact. We are run by a committed, compassionate, and exceptionally talented team in the US and Europe.
Beyond Carnism is a young, vibrant organization with significant potential to grow our programs and increase our impact. We are also in the process of rebranding to incorporate a broader focus that includes social transformation, relational literacy (understanding healthy relational dynamics), and mindfulness. We are seeking a talented, dedicated, self-directed individual with a commitment to strategic thinking, animal rights, social justice, relational health, and personal integrity to join our team and help take Beyond Carnism to the next level.
The Head of Communications will oversee and coordinate all external communications, helping to improve and grow our social media presence, increase funding opportunities, and enhance public engagement with our work. Tasks include developing and overseeing the organization’s communications strategy, coordinating public relations activities, producing media reports, drafting press releases, editing Melanie Joy’s writing when needed, and helping develop and edit content for campaigns (videos, articles, etc.). The Head of Communications will also review and revise internal communications when necessary, to help ensure messaging is consistent and clear. The successful candidate will have excellent English written and spoken communication skills, and will ideally have a background in professional (English) writing and thorough knowledge of the animal rights movement. They will also be committed to the Beyond Carnism mission.
The Head of Communications role is both strategic and hands-on. It includes managing a small team that works on content and social media and directly carrying out PR and copy editing, as well as driving the communications strategy during this exciting stage of organizational development.
- Develop and oversee external communications
- Develop and oversee the organization’s communications strategy
- Oversee all content production, media communications, and social media strategy
- Coordinate all public relations activities
- Develop a marketing communications plan including strategy, goals, budget, and tactics
- Write and edit content
- Regularly assess the effectiveness of the Beyond Carnism communications channels and put in place measures that will create awareness and momentum as well as test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Provide editorial support to Melanie Joy when needed
- Review and revise internal communications when necessary
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
We are looking for a highly organized, action-oriented, self-directed individual who has a strong commitment to social justice, animal rights, relationality, mindfulness, effective altruism, and the mission of Beyond Carnism. The Head of Communications will embody the core values of Beyond Carnism and should also be able to work independently (without close oversight), and possess the following:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a communications/PR management or editorial role
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- An excellent eye for, and commitment to, detail
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent editorial skills
- Proven track record in public relations
- Thorough knowledge of carnism and the vegan movement; experience in working in animal rights a plus
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and effectively manage priorities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Willingness to take on different responsibilities and tasks as needed
- Understanding of and commitment to the principles of effective altruism
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Beyond Carnism, including a commitment to intersectionality and a willingness to become literate about privilege and oppression
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with various stakeholders including donors and board members
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Experience and strong track record of effectively supervising staff
- Excellent strategic and critical thinking skills
- Commitment to maintaining a healthy work/life balance
- Interest in mindfulness a plus
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and CV to Flavia D’Erasmo, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.