Title: Communications Manager
Reports to: Director of Operations
Location: London or Berlin preferred; Remote possible
Hours: Part-time or Full-time
Deadline: January 2nd 2019
Beyond Carnism is a US-based, international organization dedicated to exposing and transforming carnism, the invisible belief system that conditions people to eat certain animals. Beyond Carnism is the first and only organization that focuses exclusively on carnism, making it a pioneering and landmark institution and a hub of international carnism-awareness activity.
Inspired by the writings of our founder and president Melanie Joy, our programs and campaigns are innovative and powerful, and have been proven to have a significant global impact. We are run by a committed, compassionate, and exceptionally talented team in the US and Europe.
Beyond Carnism is a young, vibrant organization with significant potential to grow our programs and increase our impact. We are also in the process of rebranding to incorporate a broader focus that includes social transformation, relational literacy (understanding healthy relational dynamics), and mindfulness. We are seeking a talented, dedicated, self-directed individual with a commitment to strategic thinking, animal rights, social justice, relational health, and personal integrity to join our team and help take Beyond Carnism to the next level.
The Communications Manager will oversee and coordinate all external communications, helping to improve and grow our social media presence, increase funding opportunities, and enhance public engagement with our work. Tasks include developing,overseeing, and implementing the organization’s communications strategy, coordinating public relations activities, managing the development of content for campaigns (videos, articles, etc.), and managing a small team that works on content and social media. The Communications Manager will also lead the development of digital resources, such as videos and other online tools, to engage a wider audience with Melanie Joy’s works. The Communications Manager is both strategic and hands-on, and the successful candidate will have excellent English written and spoken communication skills, a proven track record of delivering high-impact communications, and thorough knowledge of carnism and the animal rights movement. They will also be committed to the Beyond Carnism mission.
- Develop and oversee external communications
- Manage the communications team
- Develop and oversee the organization’s communications strategy
- Oversee all content production, media communications, and social media strategy
- Coordinate all public relations activities
- Develop a marketing and communications plan including strategy, goals, budget, and tactics
- Help adapt and conceptualize Melanie Joy’s work from analog to digital
- Regularly assess the effectiveness of the Beyond Carnism communications channels and put in place measures that will create awareness and momentum as well as test the effectiveness of communications activities
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
We are looking for a highly organized, action-oriented, self-directed individual who has a strong commitment to social justice, animal rights, relationality, mindfulness, effective altruism, and the mission of Beyond Carnism. The Communications Manager will embody the core values of Beyond Carnism and should also be able to work independently (without close oversight), and possess the following:
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a communications/PR management role
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- An excellent eye for, and commitment to, detail
- Exceptional English communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proven track record in public relations
- Thorough knowledge of carnism and the animal rights movement; experience working in an animal rights organization a plus
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and effectively manage priorities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Willingness to take on different responsibilities and tasks as needed
- Understanding of and commitment to the principles of effective altruism
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Beyond Carnism, including a commitment to intersectionality and a willingness to become literate about privilege and oppression
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with various stakeholders, including donors and board members
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Experience and strong track record of effectively supervising staff
- Excellent strategic and critical thinking skills
- Interest in mindfulness a plus
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and CV to Flavia D’Erasmo, Director of Operations, at email@example.com.