Through showcasing the best ethical food and drink combined with our renowned customer service, we have saved hundreds of tons of CO2 and several thousand animal lives (we reckon) since we opened in January 2018, but we’re still wanting to do more.
The Wildcat is the go to place for locals, and we have become the heart of the High Street, a community hub putting people, planet and animals at the forefront of everything we do.
We’re looking to recruit a friendly and pro-active team member to create and serve quality food and drinks prepared to exacting standards. We’re seeking hard-working individuals to be part of our front-of-house team.
You’ll be a passionate about ethical food and speciality coffee. Ideally, you’ll have a minimum of 6 months’ experience working in a busy coffee shop, cafe or restaurant. You’ll share all cafe duties with others and get involved in any task associated with running a busy cafe. You’ll be the first point of contact for our varied customer base; delivering first rate, efficient and friendly customer service.
Preparing and serving a range of food and drinks including delicious sandwiches, hot meals, coffees and loose-leaf teas is a big part of the role. Although previous cafe/barista experience is desirable, a demonstrable interest in the job, good work ethic and willingness to learn how to do things to a high standard is also important to us. In return, we will create a vibrant environment where you’ll relish coming to work each day, changing the world, one cappuccino at a time.
Must be willing to work some weekends and occasional evenings.
- Give a personal, smily and warm welcome to every customer
- Serve customers with a friendliness, respect and efficiency that surpasses their expectations
- Ensure the cafe is fit for service in respect of both food prep and appropriate hygiene standards at all times and leave it in the condition you like to find it at the start of your shift
- Ensure that food and drink is stored, prepared and presented according to health and safety legislation and cafe standards at all times
- Prepare hot drinks including espresso-based coffees and loose leaf teas to perfecting standards in accordance with cafe training (full training offered)
- Champion our home made food and serve it with care, avoiding unnecessary food waste
- Use and maintain cafe equipment correctly and safely at all times and in accordance with relevant cafe policies and training
- Restock wholefoods shop section shelves, and refill plastic free food dispensers as required
- Cash handling and using a till for accurate record keeping and security purposes
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Exceptional customer service and people skills
- Experience working in a busy, fast paced cafe or restaurant including preparing food and achieving high levels of cleanliness
- Barista trained with 1 year’s experience (not essential, training can be given)
- Current Food Hygiene certificate (not essential)
- Ability to multi-task and shift job priorities at busy times, keeping a cool head under pressure (essential)
- Warm, genuine people manner
- Be able to work quickly and efficiently under pressure, without supervision
- Reliable with an excellent work ethic
- Be positive and have a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Ability to multi-task well and love being busy
- Attention to process, detail and quality
- Great communication skills
- Passion for implementing environmentally friendly practices in the workplace
- Happy to work weekends and some early mornings
- Willingness to learn, be flexible, pitch-in and embrace change
- Ability to work well alone as well as in a team
- Interest in speciality coffee and loose leaf teas and their origins
- A passion for organic vegetables and ‘real’, ethically sourced food
- Fluent English speaker, ability to speak another language a benefit.
What we will offer you:
- £9.00 per hour after an initial training rate of £8.40. Pay is part based on performance, and we reward hard work and commitment with a higher rate of pay. Fast promotion to Senior Cafe Assistant possible for the right candidate.
- A positive and empowering working environment where you don’t have to compromise your morals
- Holiday pay and a generous staff discount
- Full lunch provided, free coffee and unlimited tea (plus leftovers at the end of the day)
- Flight free holiday travel scheme (extra pay and time for overland travel)
- We may be able to provide short term accommodation with us, and we can also help find accommodation locally, please ask about this as part of your application
- Access to occupational training dependent on commitment
- A job, surrounded by mountains, Winter sports, mountain biking, trad climbing and hiking
- The opportunity to become a pioneer of plant based food, drink and environmental practices in Scotland.
To apply, please include your CV and a covering letter detailing how you fit the bill through Vegan Jobs, or via email@example.com.
About WILDCAT CAFE LTD
The Wildcat Cafe was the first 100% vegan eatery in the Scottish Highlands. In year one, we banned disposable cups, got to the finals of Dragon's Glen and the 2018 VIBES Scottish Environmental Business Award and are featured in the publications 'Scotland the Best' and the 'Scottish Independent Coffee Guide'. Every day we challenge existing norms in the food and drink industry, and we also offer plastic free shopping via a small whole foods and weigh your own section and at the back of the shop.