We’re looking to recruit a productive and pro-active Chef to help create delicious homemade plant-based food prepared to exacting standards. We’re seeking a hard-working individual to be part of our kitchen team. This is a full-time position.
You’ll be a passionate about vegan cuisine, incredible flavours and cooking from scratch to create delicious seasonal meals and baked goods including breads, cakes, soups, salads and hot meals. There will be days you may be solely responsible for the kitchen, including all food preparation and cleaning. Previous professional kitchen/food experience is desirable although not essential; an interest in the job, thinking on your feet, enthusiasm to learn, ability to keep up under pressure and the right attitude is more important. Training can be provided.
Initially, most cooking will be crafted using tried and tested cafe recipes but there is scope for you to create your own dishes once settled into the position. You’ll work closely alongside our existing chef, and also with the rest of the cafe team to ensure the smooth operation of the cafe in accordance with our policies. You’ll be willing to work weekends and daytime shifts with occasional evening shifts.
You’ll be proud of The Wildcat’s pioneering and environmentally responsible offering in the Highlands, and will help inspire customers through the food you create. In return, we will create a positive and vibrant environment where you’ll relish coming to work each day.
- Prepare and cook a range of plant-based dishes from scratch including breads, cakes, soups, salads, sandwich fillings and hot meals
- Review and decide on dishes and quantities to prepare each day; ensuring there is sufficient quantity and variety for customers, without generating food waste
- Ensure that the kitchen is fit for purpose in respect of both food prep and appropriate hygiene standards at all times and leave it in the condition you like to find it at the start of your shift
- Ensure that, food and drink is stored, prepared and presented according to health and safety legislation and cafe standards at all times
- Accept and check deliveries from suppliers and recycle any packaging
- Contribute to cleaning and maintenance of general cafe space
- Utilise and maintain cafe equipment correctly and safely at all times and in accordance with relevant cafe policies
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Current Food Hygiene certificate and knowledge of Cooksafe
- Experience working in a commercial kitchen or cafe including preparing plant based food and achieving high levels of cleanliness
- Experience baking breads and cakes
- Passion for great food and flavours
- Have a flair for cooking with vegetables!
- Interest in plant-based, organic and ‘real’ food
- Able to use seasonal produce as it becomes available, avoiding food waste by modifying quantities based on busyness/weekend trade vs weekday
- Interest in wholefood plant based nutrition, healthy cooking minimising oil/salt use
- Ability to multi-task well
- Attention to process, detail and quality
- Ability to work quickly and well under pressure without supervision
- Happy to work some weekends and early mornings
- Be positive and have a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Great communication skills
- Willingness to learn, be flexible, pitch-in and embrace change
- Ability to work well alone as well as in a team
- Passion for implementing environmentally friendly practices in the workplace
- A positive and empowering working environment
- Short term accommodation may be available for those moving to the area, but please enquire upon application; if not help finding local accommodation will be offered
- Free lunch every shift and a generous staff discount on other purchases
- £9 – £10.50 per hour based on experience and after training
- Access to occupational training dependent on commitment
- The opportunity to become a pioneer of plant based food and drinks in the Scottish Highlands
- Eco discounts and incentives
- A job surrounded by mountains, Winter sports, mountain biking, trad climbing and hiking!
To apply, please include your CV and a covering letter saying how you fit the bill.
About WILDCAT CAFE LTD
The Wildcat Cafe was the first 100% vegan eatery in the Scottish Highlands. In year one, we banned disposable cups, got to the finals of Dragon's Glen and the 2018 VIBES Scottish Environmental Business Award and are featured in the publications 'Scotland the Best' and the 'Scottish Independent Coffee Guide'. Every day we challenge existing norms in the food and drink industry, and we also offer plastic free shopping via a small whole foods and weigh your own section and at the back of the shop.