Vietnam Cat Welfare is a UK registered charity working to reduce cat suffering in Central Vietnam. We rescue, rehabilitate and rehome hundreds of cats every year, as well as working with the local community to promote compassion for all animals through education. We have a small vegan cafe at our shelter in Hoi An – Jack’s Cat Cafe – where we welcome visitors to spend some time with our 80+ cats, with all proceeds going towards supporting the charity.
We are looking for a Shelter Manager to live onsite, overseeing operations, facilities and finances, alongside assisting the CEO with strategy, marketing, fundraising.
We are ideally looking for someone to start around mid July, however we will consider all applications.
A small, local salary will be provided, plus accommodation and meals.
- Oversee all daily routines, including opening / closing, feeding, cleaning.
- Manage the Cafe Manager and Kitchen Manager in the running of the cafe, including volunteer management.
- Advertise, recruit and train new staff / volunteers when needed.
- Ensure all protocols are written, printed and adhered to by volunteers. Create new ones when applicable.
- Oversee stock control for cat food, medications, cleaning products, equipment and general supplies, coordinating orders and deliveries.
- Maintain positive relationships with our local suppliers and nurture new ones when necessary.
- Monitor cat health and behaviours and report to the Animal Care Manager.
- Assist the Animal Care Manager with medications, vet appointments, rescues and all aspects of animal care.
- Be the main point of contact for the Shelter, responding to any communication from members of the public.
- Daily bookkeeping for the cafe and donations.
- Making payments (rent, bills, salaries etc.)
- Managing cash flow to ensure all outgoings are paid on time.
- Ensure the building and garden are properly maintained.
- Arrange for repairs when necessary, either with volunteers or external contractors.
- Maintain good relationships with local contractors and handymen.
- Conduct regular safety checks around the shelter to ensure a safe and healthy environment for volunteers and cats.
- Assist the CEO with identifying new revenue streams for fundraising.
- Assist the CEO in creating and executing marketing strategies.
- Create quality content for our social media channels.
- Create and nurture relationships in the wider community, creating partnerships for outreach work and fundraising opportunities.
- At least 2 years as a manager in a small business / charity environment.
- Worked / volunteered with animals.
- Accounting, bookkeeping and managing finances in a small business / charity environment.
- Lived / spent time in Vietnam.
- Worked in a marketing or fundraising environment.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS:
- Able to communicate effectively with people from different places and backgrounds.
- Able to multitask and work in a high pressure environment.
- Be a strong leader, motivating others even in the toughest situations.
- Some understanding of fundraising and charity revenue streams.
- Able to ride a motorbike / scooter.
- Speak other languages (Vietnamese especially)
- Managed social media channels for a business / charity.
- Unfortunately we have to deal with a lot of animal welfare issues here so very long and unsociable working hours are often required. A real commitment to the cause, strong work ethic and a lot of flexibility are essential.
- This position is contracted to 1 year, with a 3 month probation period. It is essential that you are able to commit to this amount of time.
- Whilst we do provide accomodation and a small salary, we are unfortunately unable to contribute towards your travel or visa costs.
- We are a vegan shelter, with no animal products being consumed by humans on site. An understanding of veganism and animal welfare on a wider scale is essential.
To apply for this position, please send your CV to email@example.com with the subject ‘Shelter Manager Position’ along with a cover letter outlining:
- Why you think you would be ideal for the job.
- Why you want to work for Vietnam Cat Welfare.
- What you think you will bring to the charity.