Hours: 28 hours/week (4 days/week)
Location: Office based, Made in Hackney, Stoke Newington N16
Salary: £30,000 pro rata
This is an exciting new role for someone with heaps of energy and enthusiasm, ready to unleash their talents and help Made in Hackney grow sustainably over the next few years. Using your valuable knowledge and insight into the rapidly expanding plant-based food sector in London and the UK, you will relish the chance to take a few risks and develop new areas of enterprise activity as well as keep the ‘house in order’ by selling
our existing products and services.
The suitable candidate will have a passion for local, seasonal, organic, plant-based food and a solid grasp on trends and content happening in the plant-based, wholefoods sector. You will also be able to communicate effectively the social benefits and Made in Hackney’s USP to potential clients and customers.
The experience of working at Made in Hackney is varied, unique and very rewarding. There is no ‘typical’ day and we are looking for someone who is flexible to work out of the normal office working hours (for example giving talks at evening events etc.) There is plenty of room for the successful candidate to be creative and bring new ideas for developing new income generating activities.
Business Development and Operations
Made in Hackney currently generates 50% of its income from its own revenue generating activities. Your
role will be to significantly increase this figure by managing existing revenue streams and developing new
areas of activity. Targets to be confirmed with candidate on appointment.
- Create new products and services such as external events, keynote speaking opportunities, cookery
classes in external venues and other exciting food offers.
- Promote and secure client events from current programme such as community fun days, employer
‘team building’ events, hen nights and birthday parties.
- Secure paid contracts with clients in the community and third sector such as children centres,
housing associations and other charities to deliver MIH’s flagship cooking programmes.
- Manage all client bookings from end to end eg. liaising with cookery teachers on recipes and logistics,
with Volunteer Manager for volunteers, external venues, invoicing etc.
- Secure the commission of new contracts with Public Health bodies in other London boroughs.
- Establish partners to work with on joint programmes and funding bids.
- Secure Consultancy contracts with other start-up community kitchen projects across the UK.
- Trial and identify opportunities for social media advertising and marketing.
- Assist with MIH’s brand engagement strategy with leading health food brands.
- Investigate new areas for organisational growth e.g. new geographic areas.
PR and Communications
- Occasionally deliver presentations and talks about the work of Made in Hackney.
- Contribute to design and delivery of social media and marketing strategy.
Governance, HR and Strategy
- Participate in regular update meetings with Project Directors to ensure effective communication and
- Ensure a clear vision for the organisation based on consensus, update this when necessary and
contribute to strategic discussions on its future.
- Opportunity to attend quarterly board meetings.
- Participate in organisational budget planning and monitoring meetings.
- At least 3 years’ experience of securing new clients and business partnerships.
- Experience of engaging with multiple stakeholders ideally across voluntary, public and private sectors.
- Experience of writing winning client proposals.
- Experience, or at least passion and knowledge within the wholefoods, plant-based food sector.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with, and have empathy for, a
diverse range of people including vulnerable groups.
- Ability to take initiative, be flexible and think creatively on a very limited budget.
- Capacity to inspire and motivate others.
- Excellent administrative and IT skills, and an ability to maintain records and produce clear written and
- Can-do attitude when faced with challenges and rapid changes that can occur when working for a
small but dynamic charity.
- Enthusiasm, energy and a positive attitude.
- Willingness to comply with the plant-based only food policy in the MIH office and kitchen premises.
- Regular management team meetings with Project Directors.
- Flexible working arrangement with allowance for working from home.
- During summer a period of 6 weeks can be carried out entirely remotely on a flexible basis to allow for personal travel ambitions and career development opportunities.
- Training in Emergency First Aid in in the Workplace, Food Safety, and Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults
and Children among others.
- Staff discount of 15% in Food For All Shop.
- Opportunity to lead Community cooking class if this is of interest.
- Opportunities to undertake additional special projects.
Please send a covering letter explaining how you meet each part of the Specification criteria and
send with your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mark your email subject: Application: Enterprise Manager
Deadline: 5pm on Friday 2nd March 2018.
Interviews: Monday 12th March.
Post commences: As soon as possible after appointment.
About Made in Hackney
Made in Hackney is a pioneering educational eco-community kitchen and has recently become its own
independent charity. Nestled underneath not-for-profit health food shop Food For All, we teach vital
cooking, composting and food growing skills that are good for people and planet. In our classes we draw
people's attention to the much overlooked reality of, 'without a healthy planet, how can we be healthy
people?' We therefore teach people in fun and inspiring ways healthy eating and lifestyle skills alongside
environmental best practice.
Our courses are attended by local charities, housing associations, support groups and community groups
most in need of developing food skills. We also run courses in other community kitchens around London
such as the Redmond Community Centre (Manor House) Lea View Hall (Springfield Park E5) and in Age UK
community centres in Barnet and Peckham.