Engage Businesses to Build a Sustainable, Healthy and Just Food System
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is at the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic efficacy and the exploitation of billions of animals annually. Please check out our U.S. affiliate’s website and read the 2019 Year in Review -in particular pages 10-11 on our Corporate Engagement work- to find out more about who we are and what we do.
How You Will Make a Difference
GFI Asia Pacific’s Corporate Engagement Specialist will have an immediate impact in catalyzing the movement to create a more sustainable, healthy and just food system. While many excellent alternative protein products and companies already exist, they still comprise a small percentage of the market share of conventional meat, eggs, dairy, and seafood. The Corporate Engagement Specialist will drive action to accelerate the growth of the alternative proteins sector in Asia Pacific.
By focusing on building relationships with major established companies and influencing them to invest in alternative proteins, stock more alternative protein products, and create new products in this space, the Corporate Engagement Specialist will dramatically expand the accessibility of plant-based, cultivated, and fermentation-derived products, while simultaneously reducing greenhouse gas emissions, conserving natural resources, and preventing animal suffering on a massive scale.
As well as engaging with individual decision makers, including senior executives at C-suite level, you will also help to catalyse the sector at the ecosystem level. You could also explore the potential for engaging with entrepreneurs, startups and investors, if this proves to be a strategic area for maximum mission-impact.
As the first Corporate Engagement hire in our growing Asia Pacific team, you will help radically transform the food system by:
- Setting the strategy for GFI Asia Pacific’s corporate engagement work, identifying and pursuing the top priorities for impact.
- Managing and delivering all aspects of GFI Asia Pacific’s corporate engagement work, and potentially leading a team of specialists in the future.
- Building relationships with established companies, including food manufacturers, ingredient companies, and life science companies, influencing them to invest in alternative proteins, produce and stock more and higher-quality alternative protein products, and create new products.
- Working with manufacturers, co-manufacturers, and other companies in the alternative protein supply chain to understand the opportunities and obstacles they perceive and sharing GFI’s technical, regulatory, and marketing resources.
- Potentially also building relationships with other stakeholders, as and when this is strategic for mission-impact. These could include priority grocery stores, restaurants, and foodservice establishments, investors and financial institutions, entrepreneurs and start-ups.
- Acting as a liaison and ‘connector’ between Asia Pacific stakeholders, GFI’s global Corporate Engagement teams, other GFI global staff, and our broader network.
- Coordinating the creation of resources to help champion the alternative protein sector – for example, databases of investors/companies/ingredients.
- Overseeing the generation of new consumer and market research data by contracting external firms, as needed.
- Building communities and coalitions of organisations to champion the alternative protein ecosystem, for example, by bringing together consortia to apply for grant funding.
- Preparing and delivering influential presentations to key corporate decision-makers.
- Being a thought leader by speaking at conferences, webinars etc.
- Performing other duties as required, as a member of our small, growing team.
Who We’re Looking For
You must have:
- A passion for GFI’s philosophy and mission.
- 5+ Years of relevant experience, for example in business, management consulting, corporate affairs/management/engagement, brand/product marketing, investment, venture capital, start-ups, food industry sales, or other relevant areas.
- An established rapport with a broad range of food industry contacts would be preferred.
- Excellent people-skills: the ability to influence, network, and build alliances.
- The ability, confidence and authority to engage with corporate executives, build long-term relationships with them, and to persuade and influence decision-makers.
- Strong team spirit and open and collaborative instincts: you will be working closely with colleagues in our Corporate Engagement teams around the world.
- Excellent written and oral communication, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Strong strategic ability.
- A can-do approach: a self-starter with the drive and initiative to take responsibility for delivering impact.
- Comfort working remotely in a rapidly-growing and evolving organisation: the ability to work well independently and under pressure, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken. Ability to speak an Asian language as well would be a plus.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritise an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
Terms of Employment: Full-time, permanent.
Location: Remote – but with a strong preference for Singapore. Subject to COVID, there may be some travel involved within Asia Pacific, and occasionally beyond.
Salary: S$60,000 – S$66,000. This range is based on a Singapore hire and will be adjusted if hired elsewhere in Asia Pacific.
Benefits: Working from home, flexible working hours, opportunity to create real impact, respectful managers and supportive colleagues.
Application deadline: We will be assessing candidates on a rolling basis, so please apply now!
Application process: Please complete this short form, upload your CV and cover letter and complete two short tasks. Thank you. Your cover letter (of 1-2 pages) and CV should set out:
- What motivated you to apply for this role.
- How you meet each of the requirements for the role as listed in the job description.
- Which bit of the job description energises you the most.
We really look forward to hearing from you!
Any questions? If you have any questions about this role, please do reach out to us at email@example.com. If you’ve read this far but decided not to apply, please feel free to share this job description with someone else in your network who you think might be a good fit for the role! Thank you!
About Good Food Institute Asia Pacific
The Good Food Institute is an international nonprofit building a sustainable, healthy, and just global food system. With unique insight across the scientific, policy, industry, and investment landscapes, we are using the power of food innovation and markets to accelerate the transition of the world’s food system toward alternative proteins. GFI is powered by philanthropy.