Term of Employment: Full-Time, At-Will, Exempt
Reports to: CEO
Start Date: April 1, 2021
Application Closing Date: March 1, 2021
50by40 is a coalition of organizations dedicated to cutting the global production and consumption of animal products by 50% by 2040. Join our global team offering regional and international expertise on food systems, climate policy, and global and multi-sector engagement. We collaborate with partners and support their efforts in a broad swathe of sectors, from vastly different backgrounds, yet wholly dedicated in their missions to improve the ways food is produced and consumed.
How You Will Make a Difference
50by40 seeks to hire a Senior Vice President of Development who can take our Partnership Financial Portfolio to the next level. 50by40 supports and implements a wide variety of programming with support from foundations and private donors to further our mission of 50% reduction of animal agriculture by 2040. Our grant-funded projects are implemented by our partners and harness the organizational, operational, technological, and financial landscape of an equitable global food system transition. The role will help drive funding to 50by40’s partners and the operational budget for the organization.
The Senior Vice President of Development will be responsible for acquiring and managing relationships with foundations and other major donors, overseeing a granting platform, and maintaining relationships with existing stakeholders and significant donors. The role will be part of senior management and be instrumental in driving forward the mission and critical pathway of 50by40.
- In conjunction with the CEO and the board, develop and implement a three-year major-donor development and cultivation strategy.
- Lead and guide the development team
- Develop a strong relationship with significant environmental and health foundations.
- Run an in-depth analysis of assumptions and risks for any development activity.
- Align development activities with the board and draw on their expertise and networks: Includes participating in board meetings.
- Ensure the appropriate handling of funds and all development activities follow established best practices and adhere to the relevant laws.
- Keep abreast of trends in philanthropy.
- Research and prepare proposals for potential major donors.
- Communicate the strategy and goals of 50by40’s to high-net-worth donors.
- Acquire and build relationships with major donors in Europe and the USA, and maintain relationships with existing donors.
- Identify and develop processes and systems to support the growth of major-donor income.
- Identify suitable projects within the organization’s plan to build support cases and cultivate wish lists for donors.
- In collaboration with the Development Coordinator, support the management of stakeholders and influencers.
- In collaboration with the CEO, develop, maintain, and manage strategic relationships with high-level stakeholders, focusing on donors, change-makers and consumption specialists.
- In collaboration with the Development Coordinator, keep, maintain and expand a database of donors, partners and allies across sectors and movements.
- Develop a close working relationship with the fundraising staff of 50by40 partners as well as exiting funders.
- In collaboration with the Development Coordinator, streamline 50by40’s grant-making system; that includes as much automation as possible, data management, donor receipts, grant agreement processing, grant reporting, sharing stories, etc.
- Continue to develop and test innovative and creative approaches to fund animal protein reduction efforts in areas and sectors where such activities have previously lacked.
- Represent 50by40 in relevant networks, events, fundraising gatherings, etc.
- Have at least 10 years’ of institutional donor fundraising in public and private sectors with international organizations, national governments, and private and corporate foundations.
- A track record of identifying, securing, and maintaining significant, multi-year, multi-million, public funds from donors internationally.
- Experience in financial reporting, analysis, and nonprofit accounting.
- Possess Strong personal credibility for persuasive dialogue with major donors in person and writing.
- Have a strong project management ethos with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Have the ability to build rapport and maintain multi-sectoral stakeholder relationships.
- Possess a strong sense of teamwork and keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Have the ability to determine work priorities and juggle multiple tasks efficiently.
- Have the capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment operating in multiple time zones.
- Have high ethical standards and commitment to 50by40’s core values.
- Have a strong understanding of funders (e.g. governments, multilateral institutions, and foundations), different contract types, and reporting requirements associated with grant funding.
- Master’s degree in strategic fundraising and philanthropy, nonprofit and fundraising management, sustainable development, business administration, international relations, sustainability, climate change, or related fields.
- Experience in developing and editing high-quality grant proposals, including developing theories of change, budgets, and work plans for complex, multi-year, and global projects.
- Know the international donor landscape and trends, with demonstrable experience in fundraising with a diverse group of donors, including private and corporate foundations and governments.
- Knowledge of UN processes and such as the UNFCCC, FAO, and WFP.
- Knowledge of the SDGs and how they relate to food systems.
- Experience with working remotely within dispersed teams.
- Understanding of effective altruism.
- Know of innovations in food, as well as an understanding of the global food sector.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, knowledge of Mailchimp, Google Suite, and Monday.com.
- Salary commensurate with experience and qualification.
- Enjoy trust-based flexible working and home-office arrangements.
- 20 days PTO, Bank Holidays
Send your cover letter and CV via the application link to us by March 1, 2021.
Strengthened by Diversity
At 50by40, we believe that the best ideas come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences. Committed to inclusivity, diversity, and equality, 50by40 offers equal opportunities to all applicants regardless of race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or anything else that makes them unique.
We are a global, collective impact organisation aiming to create a fair, healthy and compassionate food system. Our vision pursues a 50% reduction in the global production and consumption of farmed animal products by 2040, with the remaining production systems being environmentally and socially sustainable, regenerative and humane, achieved via a just transition of the farming system.
50by40 functions as a platform builder and network convener of partners, stakeholders, and rights-
holders from all sectors, movements and geographies without attempting to directly solve issues or replace any expertise on the respective foci of the stakeholders and rights-holders.