Coordinate all social public relations affairs for HUMANE ACTION Pittsburgh (HAP) and affiliate campaigns.
Purpose of the Position
• Increase visibility and impact of HAP by leveraging news media and other relevant outlets
• Engage with news outlets and members of the public to publicize issues involving our organization, highlight events and achievements, and address attacks and criticism.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with HAP and No Plastic Please (NPP) leadership to decide HR initiatives and strategies
• Grow awareness of HAP with the news media and general public
• Coordinate consistent communication with news outlets to keep HAP top of mind
• Draft and submit press releases to relevant outlets
• Create relationships with members of the news media to ensure continued coverage of HAP’s campaigns
Training on HAP’s core values, mission, and policies, including orientation on campaign missions and status.
Skills and Qualifications
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Past experience writing press releases
• Interest or experience in local news media a plus
• Passion and knowledge on the issues surrounding HAP’s mission
• Working knowledge of digital communication tools
• Ability to present yourself in a friendly, professional, and non-partisan manner
• Ability to work independently, follow instructions, and meet deadlines
• Working knowledge of Google Drive, Trello and Dropbox, or a willingness to learn
Time Commitment Required
As needed, approximately 3-4 hours a week. This will vary.
Professional dress required for meetings. If attending an informal event, volunteer must purchase a HAP or NPP T-shirt at cost.
• Work can be conducted remotely from home
• Meetings with HAP and NPP leadership will be in person at a mutually convenient location or virtual via Zoom conference
• Attendance at HAP general meetings (Humane Animal Rescue at 6926 Hamilton Ave, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15208) is highly encouraged (when in person meetings become applicable again)
Benefits to the Volunteer
• Grow leadership skills
• Develop communication skills
• Cultivate your passion for animal and environmental protection and put it into action
• Create real impact on the issues regarding animal welfare
• Be a valued HAP team member
• Build your volunteer resume
What Volunteers Can Expect From HAP
• Support of HAP leadership and members
• Respect and appreciation for your contribution and input
About Humane Action Pittsburgh
Humane Action Pittsburgh is a group of nonpartisan citizens dedicated to advancing animal protection through education and action.