General Manager – Retail & Hospitality
All Shoreditch shop staff
20 Cheshire Street, E2 6EH
Up to £32,000 per annum depending on experience
· 20% staff discount on all products
· All additional training will be provided where required
· 28 days paid holiday including bank holidays
About the role
We are looking for a full time General Manager – Retail & Hospitality to manage the operations and performance of our physical shop and wine bar in Shoreditch. Moreover, we are looking for an individual with a warm, friendly and professional attitude to help us maintain a fantastic experience for our customers. As our business grows and diversifies, our Shoreditch location remains an important touchpoint for our customers and an incredibly important brand asset to us as a diversifying business.
This is a busy role requiring creativity, effective communication and proactivity to drive efficiency and profitability of our shop and Cheese Cellar. Great organisational and prioritisation skills are a must, as well as a professional and friendly demeanour. This role will involve managing junior staff and working closely with directors to communicate customer feedback and suggest opportunities for business development. We offer a highly collaborative and communicative environment, where staff are encouraged to provide feedback and share ideas for optimisation of our operations. You will be expected to work during weekends along with our peak Christmas and Veganuary periods.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the right person to make a significant difference for a growing business. You will be our ‘third in command’ and will be an important representative of our growing brand in the UK.
You will be hungry for impact and excited to work autonomously in a start-up environment. You will be target driven, and will always be planning your next step – whether it be optimising an existing business offering, or launching an entirely new revenue stream. You will be organised and militant about our store and bar processes, to include stock management, health and safety, and customer experience.
You’ll be as excited about food and drink as you are by our ambitious business targets and mission. You’ll be entrepreneurial, ambitious, nimble and adaptable to the rapidly changing landscape of the hospitality industry and veganism as a lifestyle.
Your entrepreneurial spirit will motivate your direct reports and allow you to develop your role and responsibilities at a pace that simply wouldn’t be possible in a larger, corporate environment. You are excited by this last sentence.
· Ensure our shop and Cheese Cellar are performing commercially, maximising the ROI for each area of the business.
· Hitting target KPI’s for sales, profit, footfall, and costs by making efficiencies and maximising profitability wherever possible
· Planning and coordinating initiatives to drive sales, e.g. producing social media content to increase footfall, organising and running Cheese Cellar events, creating and launching new revenue streams that monetise our physical store by any means possible
· Organising tastings in coordination with our Sommelier and/or suppliers
· Gathering insights from customer feedback to improve customer experience in store, and for communicating any important findings to founders
· Manage our labour rotation and efficiency, taking responsibility for managing the team, recruitment and any training required
· Promoting positive team culture and motivating the team to hit sales targets and maintain excellent customer service standards
· Ensure stock rotation and checks are undertaken to minimise left-overs/spoilage and maximise profitability
· Ensure shop and cellar operations are monitored, audited and operate within compliance to government legislation and EHO guidelines.
· Responsible for ensuring Health & Safety standards are adhered to, ensuring all members of the team are trained and managing risk proactively
· Reporting all maintenance requirements and hazards in the workplace to directors
· Uphold and build upon our reputation as the market leader for quality vegan produce, as well as our reputation as experts in the field of vegan dairy-alternatives
Essential skills and attributes:
· A passion for plant-based food and artisanal produce
· Significant experience within a customer-facing environment in the retail and/or hospitality sector
· Level 3 Food Hygiene training (training can be offered but a certificate will be required before the role begins)
· Sound understanding of Profit & Loss, ROI, margin, mark-up, and forecasting
· Experience in monitoring analytics relating to sales and site performance, with demonstrable success in business development and reaching sales targets
· You are confident in your leadership skills, and have experience of managing multiple team members, as well as recruitment, training and day to day management.
· Excellent time management, analytical and communication skills (both verbal and written)
· A proactive, self-starting approach, with the flexibility to adapt within a fast-growing business
· Excellent attention to detail and keen to learn and improve
· A friendly and calm disposition, with a positive attitude and a good sense of humour!
· A personal alcohol licence
· Experience using Shopify, Gmail and Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel)
· Experience in using the Open Table, The Fork, Resy, EventBrite booking system
· Hours are 11:30-19:30 in the shop or 15:00-23:00 in the cheese cellar as needed, Wednesday to Sunday
In line with the Asylum & Immigration act all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
About La Fauxmagerie
We are La Fauxmagerie, the UK’s first plant-based cheesemonger, specialising in stocking and making the best artisanal vegan cheeses the world has to offer. Since opening our doors in February 2019, our business has seen more than 100% growth year-on-year with the support of our loyal customers, and we are now working to expand our offering throughout the UK and further afield.
In our 2 short years since opening a tiny pop-up store in Brixton we’ve moved to a much larger, permanent store in Shoreditch (July 2019), opened our warehouses to expand our online shop and manufacturing capabilities (June 2020), opened The Cheese Cellar - our basement wine + cheese bar (September 2020), and are currently expanding our manufacturing facility by 300% in order to fulfil the growing demand for our products nationally and abroad.