Title: Director of Research
Grade: Open to both half-time and full-time applicants.
Location: Remote, preference for U.S. time zone, open to others
Start Date: Flexible, ideally starting date in May 2021
The overarching aim of the Aquatic Life Institute is to improve aquatic lives by supporting, accelerating, and directing the growth of the aquatic animal welfare movement. In support of this goal, ALI oversees affiliate coalition groups, including the Aquatic Animal Alliance. We are seeking an experienced Director of Research to oversee ALI’s research team.
Primary Work Function: The Aquatic Life Institute is seeking a Director of Research to oversee our fully-remote, international research team.
Our Culture: At ALI, our daily work is motivated by the understanding that aquaculture is the fastest growing food sector worldwide and the site of preventable harm to billions. This intense urgency translates into a passionate, fast-paced, and highly ambitious agenda. We are a nonprofit with a startup-inspired culture, actively integrating practices from the private sector to better our advocacy work. There is no typical day at ALI and we are seeking a Director of Research ready to optimize and hone this momentum.
The Director of Research will be charged with:
- Manage, coordinate and execute research projects according to priority. Work closely with the Research Team which includes supervising, guiding, and delegating responsibilities.
- Ensure timely and accurate delivery of research objectives.
- Develop detailed project plans in order to monitor and track progress/implement adjustments when necessary.
- Manage changes to the project scope, schedule and costs using appropriate verification techniques.
- Develop new research priorities to support the strategic direction of the organization.
- Maintain positive and trust-based relations with partners, stakeholders, and industry allies.
- Meet with stakeholders to scope what research gaps could be filled by ourselves and others; ability to monitor trends on research priorities in the aquatic animal welfare movement and pull
- actionable research items for ALI to undertake.
- Develop collaboration with external organizations that are engaged in aquatic animal welfare.
- Create actionable insights for improving our welfare recommendations.
- Participate in external meetings to communicate the findings of our research.
Additional Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in animal advocacy calls, discussions, working groups, and Slack channels outside of the Aquatic Life Institute.
- Support ALI staff and troubleshoot alongside the Managing Director and the Founder & President.
- Scout potential new organizational partners.
- Balancing research priorities with constraints in time and human resources.
- Exceptional knowledge of and passion for aquatic animal welfare.
- Experience in working with and building research teams.
- At least two years experience managing projects and teams.
- Excellent organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking according to priority.
- Experience/interest in developing and maintaining strong working relationships with major stakeholders.
- Strong self-direction, self-motivation, and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- The ability to work effectively with ideologically diverse partner organizations (from vegan-only to aquaculture producers improving their practices).
- Strong written and oral communication skills, especially the ability to explain one’s views clearly to a variety of audiences
- Curiosity about and ability to rapidly acquire knowledge in areas beyond current expertise.
Preferred Attributes (we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet these):
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and extremely resourceful
- Graduate-level academic education in a relevant field
- Strong organizational skills
- Familiarity with fish welfare and the fishing and aquaculture industry
- Familiarity with the animal advocacy movement and its strategies is a plus
- Familiarity with effective altruism is a plus
- Familiarity with intersecting issues (human rights, conservation, etc.) is a plus
Dependant on experience.
To apply, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with a short cover letter and resume. Successful applicants may engage in multiple rounds of interviews and may be asked to complete a sample task. At least two references may be required.
Applicants received before May 20th may receive priority.
Historically, we have been lucky enough to receive an overwhelming number of applications, so we apologize in advance if we do not respond to your correspondence quickly.
ALI is a proud equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and consider all applicants for employment without attention to race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic. This is core to both our ethical underpinnings and our success as a globally-engaged team. For any questions or if you are in need of any assistance, please reach out via email. If you do not meet the above qualifications but believe you would be a great fit, please feel free to apply.
About Aquatic Life Institute
The overarching aim of the Aquatic Life Institute is to support and accelerate activities that positively impact aquatic life. ALI aims to become a central and pivotal organization in efforts to improve the welfare of farmed fish globally. ALI will also work to reduce the number of wild fish used for fish feed and their suffering at the time of catch by working with certifiers, the industry, existing nonprofits, and legislators.
Our Culture: At ALI, our daily work is motivated by the understanding that aquaculture is the fastest growing food sector worldwide and the site of preventable harm to trillions. This intense urgency translates into a passionate, fast-paced, and highly ambitious agenda. We are a nonprofit with a startup-inspired culture, actively integrating practices from the private sector to better our advocacy work. There is no typical day at ALI and we are seeking and Managing Director ready to optimize and hone this momentum.