Beyond Carnism is seeking a full-time communications coordinator to support our head of communications and head of PR with our marketing, PR, and publications-management activities.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for and commitment to Beyond Carnism’s mission and values and will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment without sacrificing input or quality. They will be highly organized, be self-directed, and have exceptional English written and verbal communication skills, with an extraordinary commitment to attention to detail.
Who We Are
Beyond Carnism is a US-based, international organization dedicated to exposing and transforming carnism, the invisible belief system that conditions people to eat certain animals. Inspired by the work of our founding president, Dr. Melanie Joy, we have created innovative programs and campaigns, which have had a significant global impact. Beyond Carnism is a small, vibrant organization with a startup feel and ambitious goals. Our strategic aims over the next three years include making carnism a mainstream term and significantly increasing the reach of our Center for Effective Vegan Advocacy (CEVA). We also aim to build out our newer work on relational literacy, the understanding of and ability to practice healthy ways of relating.
What You’ll Do
The communications coordinator, who will report to the head of communications, will be responsible for:
- Helping to garner publicity for our projects and wider work by conducting media research and entering our work for awards
- Supporting the communications team by preparing and publishing materials to publicize our programs
- Helping to ensure that our websites, as well as third-party platforms on which our books are sold or reviewed, are accurate and up to date
- Monitoring analytics and advertising tools and producing reports
- Conducting research in support of our efforts to expand the reach of our books to more non-English speakers
- Liaising with foreign-language publishers to help maximize the revenue we derive from our books
- Maintaining accurate, up-to-date records for communications team activities, including media mentions, databases of organizations and media outlets, outreach efforts, project launch plans, and publications
Who You Are
To be successful in this position, you will:
- Care deeply about effective communication: You understand the importance of communicating effectively, and you can speak and write clearly, with correct grammar and without typos. You aim for accuracy and attention to detail, and you can choose the most appropriate ways to organize and share information. Once provided with guidance, you can select the most suitable channel and tone for any communication.
- Be strategic and solution-oriented: You can consistently come up with insightful, pragmatic, equitable, and sustainable ways to overcome challenges and leverage resources to creatively solve problems. You propose solutions to issues without much guidance but aren’t afraid to ask questions. You can adapt to the evolving needs of the organization and think 3 (or 30) steps ahead to develop solutions that achieve goals.
- Be self-directed, highly organized, motivated, and detail-oriented: You are highly organized and have exceptional attention to detail in a fast-paced, high work volume environment. You triple-check your work, even in a crunch for time. You notice and fix errors that others might overlook, and you’re able to effectively plan and prioritize when faced with competing deadlines. You effectively manage high-stakes work and value quality over quantity. You stay ahead of the curve in an ever-changing technology environment.
- Be committed to the values of Beyond Carnism: You will contribute to our culture by being committed to our core values, which include relationality, compassion, integrity, open-mindedness, inclusivity, strategic thinking, and effective altruism.
- You will also demonstrate a commitment to continuous learning and show a high level of self-awareness.
If you were here right now, you would be:
- Helping the team promote our new online course, including by keeping track of the outcomes of our outreach efforts
- Trying to identify publishers in the Arabic-speaking world that might be a good fit for our books
- Conducting research for PR activities, including research for media contacts, publications, and news stories/trends that are relevant to our work
- Gathering information from team members in preparation for submitting one of our videos for an award
What Else You Should Know
At Beyond Carnism, we are committed to equal opportunities and to creating a diverse and inclusive work culture. The commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity is one of our core values and is reflected in our internal and external communications. We especially encourage people of color, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply. Furthermore, all employees are required to become literate around privilege and systems of oppression, and we will provide the information necessary to help staff develop such awareness.
The position is full-time and remote with occasional opportunities to travel to meet with the team. This position is open to candidates in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Canada. The salary for this position ranges from $40,000 to $45,000. We also offer excellent benefits such as flexible working hours, 24 days PTO (paid time off), pension contributions, health insurance coverage, and a home-office equipment budget.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your CV and a cover letter (1–2 pages) by completing this form.
Deadline: September 6.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.