As an Assisting chef you are effectively the engine room of the kitchen. Working under the guidance of a kitchen supervisor or chef de partie, your job is to ensure that the kitchen is clean and operational. You will also be involved in preparing ingredients, and cooking/baking dishes.
• Ensuring the food preparation areas are clean and hygienic
• Washing utensils and dishes and making sure they are stored appropriately
• Sorting, storing and distributing ingredients
• Washing, peeling, chopping, cutting and cooking/baking.
• Disposing of rubbish
• Organising linen laundry
• Cleaning the food preparation equipment, floors and other kitchen tools or areas.
Working times are half days including some evenings and weekends, just like the rest of the brigade. The week varies from 20 -35 hour weeks, but you need to be prepared to work longer if necessary.
What skills do you need?
• Understanding the importance of health and hygiene
• Plenty of stamina
• A great team player
• The ability to listen and learn – fast
At least 6 months experience working in a kitchen is needed.
Level 2 food safety can be provided
Who would it suit?
This role is a dream for those of you who want to work as a chef, but haven’t been to catering college or obtained any qualifications. If you’ve got ambition and drive, you can train on the job and take advantage of our development programmes.
About The Canvas
The Canvas is a profit with a purpose social enterprise community venue and cafe in Spitalfields. We are a blank canvas for positive activism, hosting daily events such as live performance, workshops and talks, art exhibitions, yoga and meditation. Our 100% vegan cafe is open for breakfast and lunch 7 days a week serving homemade meals, cakes and brownies.