We are looking for a seasoned campaigner to support our ambitious global efforts to promote the reduction of animal consumption in line with our 5 Pros (Pro-Health, Environment, Animals, Justice, and Taste). The ideal candidate is a talented communicator with an outgoing, positive, and professional attitude, who has experience of creating campaign plans and a track record of success. This is a new position as ProVeg expands its policy and campaign efforts, which will build on and expand our public education, corporate outreach, and UN, EU and national policy initiatives. It will require flexibility and adaptability as political realities, public opinions, and business priorities shift.
The Campaign Manager will report to the Head of Campaigns & Partnerships, and work collaboratively with other organising, communications, research, fundraising and web staff. The successful candidate will also work closely with allied organisations and volunteers globally. The candidate will be responsible for representing ProVeg externally, to our supporters, and to coalitions, while networking with and influencing policy and decision-makers. The Campaign Manager will be responsible for two campaigns while assisting with other ongoing projects and campaigns. The two priority areas are the ‘Diet Change not Climate Change’ campaign, which will enter a new phase following COP26, and the Food-based Dietary Guidelines project, aimed at improving nutrition guidelines around the world.
Reports to: Head of Campaigns and Partnerships
Location: Remote (ideally in the UK, NL, BE, DE, PL, CZ, or ES)
Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: depending on experience and location, e.g. €27,600 – €33,600 in Germany
Campaigning & Organising (75%)
- Lead public-facing campaigns to promote food system change and enhance the position of plant-based foods and other alternatives to animal products.
- Establish and maintain effective collaborative relationships with external stakeholders and identify opportunities to improve engagement with policy-makers, environmental and other aligned organisations, healthcare officials, corporate leaders, scientific bodies, and other relevant parties.
- Build a strong base of organisations and individuals in support of our campaigns; participate in coalitions on campaign issues.
- Plan and coordinate talks, press conferences, and networking events.
- Speak at public events, forums, and other venues, and serve as a representative of ProVeg to the public when needed.
- Grow our base of active supporters and create a network of organisers and messengers to be able to represent our messages and to recruit new active supporters into the movement.
- Maintain a database of supporter activities, allies, and coalitions.
- Engage and inspire a range of audiences – from our supporters and communities to corporate partners, food businesses, and influencers.
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team to assess outcomes, impact and continually improve campaign tactics to increase effectiveness.
- Work with the fundraising team to increase small donations through campaigning.
Media, web and social media (20%)
- Raise the profile of ProVeg online and offline through writing compelling content for targeted websites, campaigns, social media, mainstream media & PR (including broadcast media), and by working with key influencers.
- Develop materials such as factsheets, action alerts, website content and newsletter articles on campaign issues.
- Together with the PR Manager, maintain relationships with the media, write engaging draft press releases, engage with influencers, and arrange media opportunities for Senior Leadership and other spokespersons.
Support and reporting (5%)
- Assist the Head of Campaigns and Partnerships in managing plans; prepare internal reporting on key communications targets and performance, and ad hoc external reporting to donors, sponsors and other stakeholders.
- Proven experience with a minimum of three years of working in communications advocacy and/or campaigning, preferably in food system change, or the health, environmental, or animal advocacy movement.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Experience in organising public campaigns and marketing events for nonprofit or international organisations.
- Experience in managing external communications channels, including social media, email, and traditional media.
- Knowledge of food systems, environmental impacts of animal agriculture, and (plant-based) nutrition and health.
- Knowledge of national, EU, or UN institutions, and decision-making processes and infrastructure.
- Experience of influencing policy or decision-makers.
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills.
- Strong organisational skills, and an ability to balance short-term priorities with long-term goals and strategies.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage time effectively in a fast-paced and growing nonprofit work environment.
- Self-starter personality with a curious and creative nature and a drive to continuously improve.
- Outstanding networking skills, and experience in building productive relationships with key media stakeholders and influencers, and in recruiting and managing volunteers remotely.
- Strong collaboration and excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to thrive in a team of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Understanding of and alignment with ProVeg International’s vision, mission and values.
- Willingness to occasionally travel nationally and internationally.
- Prior campaign experience is a requirement.
- Degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or other relevant fields.
- Experience with bulk email and social content management software, and digital organising and outreach tools.
- Understanding of effective altruism.
- Knowledge of the food innovation sector and foodservice industry is a plus.
- Solid knowledge of SEO, and Google Analytics.
- Additional language skills.
- Experience drafting press materials, talking to reporters, and giving interviews in a professional manner.
About ProVeg International
Benefits of working with us
- Generous annual leave and sick days (depending on country).
- Provision of work laptop.
- Flexible, trust-based working arrangements.
- A strong organisational focus on personal development and a designated training budget.
- Career-development support.
- Mindfulness Program.
- We are a workplace that encourages everyone to bring their whole selves to work.
- We are an inclusive workplace for our diverse employees around the world.
- And last but not least: become part of a great team and work with us towards a world where everyone chooses delicious and healthy food that is good for all humans, animals, and the planet!
Application deadline: 24 December 2021
Interviews: mid December 2021 / beginning of January 2022
Start: January 2022
Please send your CV and cover letter, and include at least three examples of campaign materials that you were responsible for (e.g. content, visuals, links to media coverage, track record of success etc.). Please mention where you saw the job advert.