The Encompass executive director is responsible for leading the organization in a manner that supports the mission and sets the vision and tone of the group. They will also develop and execute the strategic plan, model effective leadership, oversee team members and programs, and work collaboratively with the board of directors.
Encompass is seeking an agile executive director who maintains high racial equity competency, makes decisions effectively, manages and prioritizes a broad scope of competing priorities, and leads empathetically to create an environment for the team to thrive. You will manage the program director and executive assistant and enable the creation of future roles.
Encompass is currently in the process of reimagining our program to advance racial equity in predominantly white spaces in the farmed animal protection movement and you will work in a supportive and collaborative role with the program director on this.
As our executive director, you are a racial equity advocate and animal protection leader who integrates an anti-racist and anti-oppression lens and practice in all internal and external work. You will help the animal protection movement and its funders develop racial literacy, and support the movement in advancing this work in a way that’s grounded in accountability.
Having an enthusiastic startup mentality will be crucial as will an ability to see the big picture, set the vision in collaboration with the team, think through a range of operations needs, work independently while also supporting the team. We’re looking for someone who is action-oriented and takes initiative, is flexible, adaptable, is comfortable with uncertainty, and is an innovative and creative problem solver.
Governance and leadership
- Establish the strategic direction and role model a healthy organizational culture
- Keep the board informed of finances, programs, staffing, and progress toward goals and mission
- Stay on the cutting edge of racial equity issues and issues in the animal protection movement
- Attend board meetings (as a non-voting member or presenter)
Organizational and risk management
- Effectively administer (and collaborate with team members) on the day-to-day operations
- Implement and maintain policies and standard operating procedures to optimize operations and ensure a positive, equitable work environment for all
- Oversee the timely submission and accurate completion of all relevant state and federal tax filings and compliance documentation
- Ensure security of information and organizational assets
- Facilitate long-term strategic planning
- Conduct evaluations of programs and pivot as needed
- Hire and retain satisfied, competent, internally diverse, and nationally representative staff
- Ensure team members receive fair compensation and benefits
- Strengthen the broader community and build relationships with stakeholders
- Enhance the organization’s image and reputation by being active and visible in the community
- Serve as a spokesperson to the media, the animal protection movement, and the general public
- Ensure the financial health and fiscal integrity of the organization
- Annually propose a budget to the board and update board of significant changes
- Provide the board with quarterly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization
- Monitor revenue and expenses
- Engage in fundraising and developing other revenues, including grants and donor cultivation/stewardship
- Support the board in fundraising activities
Apply here: https://jobs.encompassmovement.org/jobs/Careers/589233000001509001/Executive-Director?source=CareerSite
We envision an animal protection movement operating at its fullest potential because it reflects a globally diverse population and embraces a culture of equity. Our mission is to increase effectiveness in the animal protection movement by cultivating racial representation, equity, and interdependence while empowering advocates of the global majority.