National cat advocacy group, Alley Cat Rescue, is seeking a full-time Program Assistant who wants to advocate for cats, and assist with trapping feral cats as well as doing adoptions. Among other tasks, the Program Assistant will be responsible for helping to keep our website updated, as well as assist with Public Relations for our Los Angeles projects.
Alley Cat Rescue needs the right person who has a strong passion to assist and help cats. Those with a desire to help community work and a flair for organization will be well-suited to this position. Must be able to work on a flexible schedule and be adaptable. Will report to the Program Director, Los Angeles.
- Assist with weekly trapping and transporting of feral cats to Spay Clinics.
- Track and analyze colony data, mostly in the Los Angeles area, but also nationally.
- Coordinate with the Operations and Communications Directors in Maryland to develop a Media and Public Relations strategy for our national event : May Spay Challenge
- Draft and disseminate press releases
- Build and maintain a good working relationship with local and national media
- Generate content for ACR’s website including regular blog posts
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Good organization skills with strong attention to detail
- Must have experience with cats, preferably feral cats
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Knowledge of media communications
- Experience with social media sites, discussion boards, and blogs
- Bachelor’s degree; journalism or public relations preferred
- At least 2 years experience in communications
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary requirements. Letter MUST include why you want to work for Alley Cat Rescue, and you must show a commitment to wanting to help cats, especially feral cats, with a passion for hands-on work in the field.
Competitive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health benefits, 401k, and paid federal holidays.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
About Alley Cat Rescue
Alley Cat Rescue’s (ACR) commitment is to help stray and outdoor community cats in the United States and around the world, by promoting humane nonlethal care to improve cats’ lives. ACR works to reduce the number of feral cats living in colonies through a proven method called Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR).
ACR’s programs promote better care for community cats through trap-neuter-return. Local programs include placing unwanted cats in new homes, running a low-cost spay/neuter clinic, and providing support for local feral cat caretakers. Nationally we operate a network of Cat Action Teams across the U.S. Our May Spay Challenge has developed a national network of veterinarians offering free or low-cost TNR services. ACR's mission is to lead the way for humane care for all cats.
ACR promotes compassion and humane care for cats through effective campaigns:
Our Cat Action Teams assist groups and individuals to help domestic and feral cats
We assist cat caretakers with cat behavioral problems
We promote a better understanding of feline diseases
Our programs keep cats out of the shelter system, thus reducing euthanasia
We promote neuter-before-adoption and early-age spay/neuter
We promote TNR programs for feral cats