International cat advocacy group, Alley Cat Rescue, is seeking a part time Writer/ Editor to work in our Los Angeles office. This person needs to be an excellent writer who will be responsible for assisting with the development of ACR’s print and online presence including communications initiatives, social media, blog administration, website maintenance, media relations, as well as special events.
This unique position requires someone who wants to combine their love of animals with creative writing, and must have experience in animal advocacy, and cat rescue. Must have experience working with cats. Must believe in the humane management of feral cats. This person must be willing to assist occasionally with the Hands-on Work with cats when needed. Alley Cat Rescue is a small organization achieving a lot for cats. Those with strong organizational skills and able to adapt to a fast-paced work environment will be well-suited to this position. Must take photos of cats in our care or in colonies and share their stories on Facebook and Instagram. And Share these photos with our donors through Blogs and Bi-weekly E-News.
- Coordinate and implement social media and communications projects to promote online presence and visibility
- Jump in when needed at times to transport cats to clinics or to adoption sites
- Assist the public with questions about cats, respond to Facebook inquiries.
- Track, analyze, and make recommendations for improving performance of social media initiatives
- Coordinate with senior staff and ACR Directors to develop a Media and Public Relations strategy for our national work
- Draft and disseminate press releases
- Build and maintain a good working relationship with media
- Generate content for ACR’s website including regular blog posts
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Good organization skills with strong attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Ability to multi-task is a real must for this position
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Knowledge of media communications
- Experience with social media sites, discussion boards, and blogs
- Bachelor’s degree; journalism or public relations preferred
- At least 2 years experience in communications required
- Experience with Adobe preferred
- Must be very interested in working with and helping cats
About Alley Cat Rescue
Alley Cat Rescue’s (ACR) commitment is to help stray and outdoor community cats in the United States and around the world, by promoting humane nonlethal care to improve cats’ lives. ACR works to reduce the number of feral cats living in colonies through a proven method called Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR).
ACR’s programs promote better care for community cats through trap-neuter-return. Local programs include placing unwanted cats in new homes, running a low-cost spay/neuter clinic, and providing support for local feral cat caretakers. Nationally we operate a network of Cat Action Teams across the U.S. Our May Spay Challenge has developed a national network of veterinarians offering free or low-cost TNR services. ACR's mission is to lead the way for humane care for all cats.
ACR promotes compassion and humane care for cats through effective campaigns:
Our Cat Action Teams assist groups and individuals to help domestic and feral cats
We assist cat caretakers with cat behavioral problems
We promote a better understanding of feline diseases
Our programs keep cats out of the shelter system, thus reducing euthanasia
We promote neuter-before-adoption and early-age spay/neuter
We promote TNR programs for feral cats