We’re looking for a superstar to lead our finance function as part of Team BIFI (Business Intelligence & Finance). This is an awesome role for anyone wanting to drive a rapidly scaling business to the next level of professionalism in finance by getting core processes right. The role will become more commercial over time and can evolve into a Finance Controller / Head of Finance as the business becomes more complex.
You will have one direct report to manage, and you’ll be reporting in to our Finance Director, James Hume. You can find out a bit more about him here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-hume-4ba9383/
The salary for this role is based on our internal framework and is £38,000-48,000 dependent on experience and/or level of accounting qualification completed.
have ownership and control.
own all of our financial statements’ accuracy, top to bottom
lead statutory reporting submissions including VAT returns and corporation tax
ensure purchase orders are approved, and payments are timely and correct
co-own all payroll, employee benefits and deductions with our People team
always improving processes.
drive our accounting from date-of-invoice to a full P&L following the matching principle
improve our month-end processes across the board: revenue reconciliations, prepayment and accrual of costs, capitalised and amortising assets, etc.
reduce the use of outsourced accountants and advisors
accelerate adoption and use of new accounts/ERP software (Netsuite)
be a team player.
be an inspiring manager and coach to a high-potential Assistant Accountant
work closely with all members of BIFI to make slick, repeatable processes
learn from and deliver with colleagues from all across the business
what you’ll need.
- minimum an almost-qualified accountant (e.g., studying Strategic Level in CIMA). We are open to qualified accountants too. And any major accounting qualification.
- impeccable eye for detail and accuracy in financial record-keeping
- knowledge of statutory reporting and technical accounting best practices
- track record of system and process improvement, and creating new insights
- past success in coaching juniors and explaining tricky concepts to non-finance folk
- responsible attitude to risk-taking and giving and receiving feedback to improve
- hunger to learn cross-functionally in FMCG, spanning: manufacturing, e-commerce, data, etc.
- belief in the allplants mission and ability to convey why this role matters in delivering it
- sense of humour with high energy and passion for the plant-powered future we’re building
- desirable experience (a few would be nice, but if you’ve got them all, you’re probably overqualified!)
- Line management
- Project management, especially cross-functional
- Business partnering with non-finance people
- Direct-to-consumer and e-commerce businesses
- Small, scale-up, fast-growth businesses
- Food manufacturing: both in-house and outsourced supply chains
- Standard costing and variance analysis procedures
- Data-driven decision-making
- Owning a procure-to-pay process
- Implementing or maintaining accountancy tools and ERP software, ideally Xero (our existing software) and Netsuite (our new software)Using data manipulation platforms and methods, e.g., SQL,
- Tableau, Looker, Matlab, Anaplan
- Developing and securing sources of cash, whether equity fundraising, government grants, tax credits, loans, working capital facilities, or asset finance, etc.
The qualifications and experiences above are a guide and we’d still love to hear from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated.
– Be part of a business with an impact and purpose (we’re also a certified B-Corp!), using commerciality to better serve people & planet
– 32 days holiday (we do not include bank holidays for inclusivity and flexibility), flexible working arrangements, pension plan and stock options from day one
– Healthy lunches, breakfast and snacks every day, and lots of allplants tastings(!) from our exceptional in-house cheffing team
– Collaborative, purpose-built office in Blackhorse Road, on the Victoria line
– A dog-friendly office with cute pooches
– Quarterly socials (we love a good party!) and weekly staff-led activities (football club, netball league and PT sessions in the park)
– Listed as Escape The City’s and Rocket List’s top companies to work for ✌️
Do I need to be vegan to work here?
No, you don’t! We’re an open-minded bunch and welcome all diets from plant curious to raw foodist, as long as you resonate with our mission to inspire people to eat more plants!
Where are you based?
Our office, The Greenhouse, is based about 10-minute walk from Blackhorse Road station on the Victoria Line.
However, at the moment our office based staff are working remotely.
What are your working hours?
This varies between teams (for instance our chefs work in shifts which cover from 6am to 10pm, and our new nightshift will be structured to run for 8 hours across the evening) but our standard office hours are 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday. We embrace flexible working and adopt a ‘core hours’ model which is implemented differently from team-to-team.
How can I contact if I have more questions?
Please reach out on email@example.com if you have any other questions.
a fair chance
Every role in the allplants team is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the superpowers and potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other difference that makes you, well, you.
More than just encouraging your application, we’re committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. It’s this philosophy that drove us to contribute to a better world through our allplants purpose and mission, and we open our doors to those who share these motivations.
Eating plants is the most impactful way to reduce your environmental footprint, so our mission is to inspire the planet to eat more plants, combining exciting flavours and delightful convenience. We’ve already served over a million meals to homes all over the UK, subscribing for an easier way to enjoy healthy plant-based living. Our plans for 2020 and beyond are as exciting as they are delicious - with big growth plans involving both new products and new distribution.
Founded in 2016 by food-lovers JP and Alex, allplants is an award-winning startup on a mission to accelerate the advent of a sustainable planet by building Earth’s most forward-thinking food company. Though our team of +100 usually cook, operate and create out of our HQ in Blackhorse Road, London, currently only our Production team is housed there while our office team work remotely. We are one of only a handful of VC-backed B-Corps dedicated to leveraging venture-building growth principles in order to help solve the climate crisis.
We are proudly a London Living Wage employer!
We are proudly a B-corp, considering planet and people alongside profit.