- Reports To: Director of Philanthropy
- Hours: Full-time (40 hours/week)
- Salary: $45,000–$50,000 annually contingent upon experience
- Location: Remote
- Paid leave (vacations and holidays): 30 days per year
- Paid self-care time: 4 hours per month
- Position-related education funding: $500 per year
- Position-related education time: 10% of work hours each week
Animal Charity Evaluators (ACE) helps lead the effective animal advocacy movement by conducting in-depth research, spreading the principles of effective giving and effective advocacy, and influencing millions of dollars in vital funding to impactful animal charities around the globe. We work with philanthropists, effective altruists, and charities to create high-impact change for animals. As a meta-charity, we not only conduct our own research and evaluations, but we also work with donors to fund the animal charities that we believe are having the maximum impact on reducing animal suffering.
By working at ACE, you will have an important role in enabling multiple charities to implement life-changing programs for animals. Your work will support U.S. and international charities that conduct locally suitable and cost-effective undercover investigations, grassroots advocacy, corporate campaigns, and legal advocacy. Your efforts will support impactful activities such as the promotion and development of innovative plant-based and cell-based meat alternatives, as well as effective corporate outreach campaigns that achieve notable welfare improvements for millions of farmed animals. At ACE, you will be helping philanthropists, effective altruists, and charities do more for animals.
We are seeking an organized and dedicated team member to work with the Director of Philanthropy to raise funds for ACE, our recommended charities, and our grantees. We are looking for a motivated individual who enjoys improving systems, engaging with donors, and who wants to make a significant impact on reducing animal suffering. This is a remote position with a flexible schedule, requiring a self-motivated individual who is able to work well both independently and with a remote team.
The Philanthropy Officer will primarily manage philanthropy operations and data analysis, but will also support the Director of Philanthropy and Executive Director in donor cultivation and stewardship, as well as assist in developing relationships with donors.
Key areas of responsibility
The Philanthropy Officer will support the Director of Philanthropy in managing a primarily online-based fundraising program to secure financial support from individuals, foundations, and corporations. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Database management & reporting
- Oversee the maintenance and accuracy of the Salesforce donor database
- Assist with ongoing data analysis
- Generate select reports from Salesforce
- Work with Director of Operations on various reporting/database duties to ensure donation records align with financial records
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- Ensure that all donors are personally acknowledged in a timely fashion
- Research new donors online
- Produce mailing lists for email campaigns
- Provide donation lists to recommended charities
- Maintain and update Top Donor list on website
- Oversee employer matching program
- Update thank you email templates in Fundraise Up
- Support the Director of Philanthropy and Executive Director in donor stewardship
- Respond to inquiries from donors and prospective donors
- Attend conferences/events occasionally to cultivate current and prospective donors
- Alignment with the mission and philosophy of ACE
- Basic understanding of the principles of Effective Altruism
- At least two years of experience in nonprofit development/philanthropy
- Experience with G Suite and Salesforce
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanor and friendly attitude
- Highly organized and motivated to work independently with a remote team
- Willing to work evenings and weekends as needed during the busy giving season (December and January)
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience
- Experience in nonprofit donor relations and stewardship
- Outstanding etiquette and engaging personality
Commitment to diversity and equal employment opportunities
Animal Charity Evaluators provides equal employment opportunities and highly values diversity. As such, we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission and to making an impact. We offer a mission- and employee-focused virtual work environment and a competitive compensation package.
We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons living with disabilities, and people of various socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position.
Animal Charity Evaluators is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, creed or religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, body size, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, family status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), ancestry, place of origin, social condition, political belief or activity, conviction of an offense for which a pardon has been granted or in which a record suspension has been ordered, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality.
About Animal Charity Evaluators
Animal Charity Evaluators (ACE) is a U.S.-based, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to finding and promoting the most effective ways to help animals. Through evaluating animal charities and researching interventions used to help animals, we aid compassionate givers, professionals, and volunteers in making informed decisions about how to help animals as effectively as possible. We provide career and volunteering recommendations and promote best practices for animal charities. We also award grants to academics and organizations to help them conduct their own research.