Terms of Employment: Full Time, At-Will, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Position Location: Los Angeles, CA
Animal Equality is an international organization working with society, governments, and companies to end cruelty to farmed animals. Animal Equality has offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, and India and has been regarded as a top charity in recognition of its efficiency and efficacy in helping animals.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, the Accountant will manage the organization’s day-to-day accounting and finance functions.
- Manage all aspects of day to day bookkeeping and accounting processes including but not limited to: A/P, A/R, payroll, journal entries, and bank reconciliation in accordance to GAAP
- Prepare Journal Entries for prepaid expense, deferred revenue, and payroll cash accounts
- Process and pay all invoices in a timely manner
- Receive and deposit all organizational revenue
- Perform annual 1099 reporting process for vendors
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports, including standard financial reports, budget vs. actual
- Reports in QuickBooks and grant-specific financial reports
- Execute month-end closing procedures and postings
- Coordinate with outside Auditors in preparation of year-end audit and IRS 990 and State filings and ensure timely fillings
- Manage state registrations and filings for all employer taxes as well as any other necessary tax registration filings (ie. sales tax)
- Review expenses and budgets with Directors on a regular basis
- Support Executive Director in development and analysis of annual organization budget
- Ensure all regulatory requirements in the US are met
- Work with off-site financial and accounting services as necessary
- Review financial statements and data
- Support Executive Director and Program Directors in developing grant proposal budgets
- Maintain accounting procedures, policies to ensure the integrity of all the internal controls
- Be key interface with banks and be responsible for cash management incl. cash projections
- Perform other related duties as necessary
- CPA strongly preferred
- 3-5 years of work experience in an accounting function
- Experience working in nonprofit multi-fund accounting, including experience tracking and reporting financial data for multiple grant funders or cost accounting experience
- Strong QuickBooks skills, including AR, AP and GL management, budgeting, and reporting
- Strong Excel skills
- Experience with Expensify a plus
- Experience with external audits
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Attention to detail, strong communication, and problem-solving skills are all critical for success in this role
- High degree of professional ethics
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Professional appearance
- Commitment to the mission of the organization
Salary and Benefits:
Salary based on experience. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, paid child care leave and 401(k). Casual office environment includes companion animals.
Animal Equality is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please Note: We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization.
About Animal Equality
Animal Equality’s vision is a world in which all animals are respected and protected.
Animal Equality is an international organization working with society, governments, and companies to end cruelty to farmed animals.
As an animal protection organization, we are guided by compassion, determination, and effectiveness.
Using these values to launch innovative projects and strategic campaigns, we work to expose and abolish the cruel practices of the animal agriculture industry.