Terms of Employment: Full-time, At-Will, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Position Location: remote US-based
>>> Please apply on our website: https://animalequality.org/jobs/communications-manager/
The Communications Manager is responsible for all communications in the US (including social media, website and public relations) to ensure that both tone and content are in accordance with Animal Equality’s mission.
- Work alongside the Vice President to assure the implementation and success of Animal Equality’s voice and the Communication strategy plan for the US
- Successfully manage the Communications Department in the US, including media relations, social media, writing, web development, and graphic design
- Develop and maintain key media relations that ensure significant media presence for Animal Equality in the US
- Oversee and generate online content in coordination with our marketing department that engages the audience and leads to measurable action.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including, but not limited to, newsletters, social media, blog, press releases, and Animal Equality websites
- Track and measure the level of engagement within Animal Equality’s network over time and make strategic decisions based on relevant tracked data
- Provide strategic interdepartmental support, working with all staff, when necessary, on media training, contact management, demonstrations, and promotional materials
- Create and generate a strategy for key spokespeople
- Others assigned by supervisor
The Communications Manager should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ethical Behaviour: Understand ethical behavior and non-profit practices, and ensure that one’s own behavior and the behavior of others on the team is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization. This means adhering to the organization’s Standards of Conduct but also going above and beyond what is required of all staff by being an exemplary leader.
- Relationship Building: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Effective Communication: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Focus on Supporters’ Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of supporters to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Ability to Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness. This includes our coalition partners and other organizations we maintain working relationships with.
- Leadership: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization. Lead by example by exhibiting the behavior and work ethic we expect from our employees.
- Decision-making: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organization: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information, and activities.
- Planning: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Problem Solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Strategic Thinking: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization.
- Proactivity: Have an attitude that is focused on impact and problem-solving.
- Growth Mindset: Always be looking to grow, learn and improve. Place the same importance on one’s own learning and professional development that the organization does.
- Adherence to Animal Equality’s staff traits.
Compensation: $55,000-60,000 DOE
Benefits and Perks: Health insurance, dental, vision, 401k, generous paid time off, paid sick time and holidays, 2 floating holidays per year, 1 volunteer day per year.
Animal Equality is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please Note: We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization.
About Animal Equality
Animal Equality is an international farmed animal advocacy organization that is dedicated to defending animals through undercover investigations, corporate campaigns, and community engagement. With offices in the US, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, and India, Animal Equality is globally recognized as a leader in the animal protection movement with numerous accolades for effectiveness and impact in helping animals.