Terms of Engagement: Self-Employed Contractor
Reports to: International Director of Investigations
Position Location: UK Remote, Travel
Animal Equality is an international farmed animal advocacy organisation dedicated to defending animals through public awareness, campaigns, and investigations. Animal Equality has offices in the United Kingdom, United States, Germany, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, and India.
To get an idea of what this position is, please watch this short video!
As an independent contractor working closely with Animal Equality’s Investigations Department, the Undercover Investigator will be expected to carry out investigations that support Animal Equality’s strategic plan of advancing farmed animal protections globally. Responsibilities include documenting the conditions of animals raised for human consumption and providing the organisation with compelling evidence for use in legal advocacy, public awareness, and corporate campaigns.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Conduct investigations into the conditions of farmed animals as assigned by the International Director, following all organisational protocols to maintain high evidentiary standards and ensuring timely and high-quality results
- Provide input on opportunities related to animal cruelty investigations
- Conduct online research and develop profiles of possible investigative targets
- Gather information related to corporate misconduct, and environmental and animal welfare violations as necessary
- Review footage and produce daily investigative logs while conducting field investigations
- Cooperate with solicitors, prosecutors, law enforcement and other relevant Governmental enforcement agencies
- Testify at hearings and court proceedings, as needed
- Preserve confidentiality regarding all sensitive investigations matters
- Ensure timely submission of all investigative materials
- Provide verbal / electronic updates to Animal Equality regarding case activity on a daily basis
- Strict compliance with UK law
- Full alignment with Animal Equality’s mission and culture principles
- Ability to work independently while socially isolated and in harsh conditions
- Comfortable working menial jobs for long hours in an agricultural setting while exposed to dead and dying animals, blood, faeces, poor air quality, extreme noise levels and other such conditions
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience with animals farmed for human consumption preferred
- Must be able to work flexible hours and days including weekends
- Excellent report writing skills
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in fast-changing environment
- Extensive travel for long periods of time – 2-4 months per assignment
- Sincere commitment to work in support of the organisation’s programs, goals and objectives
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance when representing Animal Equality during work-related interactions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Strong working knowledge of animal agricultural issues
- Resident of the United Kingdom with authorization to work
- Current motor vehicle license
Compensation: Dependent on experience.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or age.
About Animal Equality
Animal Equality was founded in 2006 by Sharon Núñez, Jose Valle and Javier Moreno with one mission: to protect animals. The enthusiasm for and commitment to that mission has only grown since then and has enabled us to deliver impactful results for animals.
Today, Animal Equality is one of the most effective advocates for farmed animals in the world, working on four continents on behalf of farmed animals. We are working in countries where there is the most opportunity to create lasting, systemic change for animals. We work with society, governments, and companies so that we can achieve our vision: a world in which all animals are protected and respected.