To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Senior Director of Legal Advocacy
- Supervises: Legal Interns
- Location: Remote, Los Angeles, or Washington. D.C.
- Benefits: Remote work, flexible hours, health benefits, retirement plan, room for advancement
Animal Outlook (AO) is a national nonprofit 501(c)(3) animal advocacy organization. AO strategically challenges the status quo of the animal agriculture industry through undercover investigations, legal advocacy, corporate and food system reform, and empowering everyone to choose vegan. AO’s legal work and investigations are selected for maximum impact in advancing our strategy to target the systemic harms of animal agriculture. AO developed its strategy with consideration of methods and arguments that have been most effective historically (in our movement and others), the vulnerabilities and short- and long-term outlook of the animal agriculture industry, legal developments, and best practices for achieving social change.
AO is hiring for a Staff Attorney to take the lead in two areas at the core of the organization’s strategic objectives: first, using the law to leverage investigation findings for maximum impact against systemic animal cruelty and other harms; and second, developing and executing impact litigation to advance the organizational priority to dismantle the harms of animal agriculture at a systemic level and build an alternative system that does not rely on exploitation.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with AO’s first-in-class undercover investigations department, which has a long history of conducting successful investigations and exposing the reality of animals’ lives and securing major victories against the animal agriculture business, and AO’s groundbreaking legal team, which is advancing, along a strategic arc, the foundations for the legal change that is indispensable to the type of social change AO is building.
To succeed in this crucial role, an attorney must have excellent and well-rounded legal skills, facility in moving between the big picture and concrete tactics with creativity and results, and experience collaborating with others to produce ideal results.
Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Legal Advocacy:
- Build strong cases for criminal prosecution for animal cruelty that AO investigations expose
- Advise Animal Outlook to protect it from legal liability related to investigations
- Provide legal input and review of media AO develops to support the public releases of completed investigations
- Develop and execute high-impact litigation to advance AO’s legal strategy
- Identify and pursue adverse administrative regulations and activities that are vulnerable to legal challenge
- Support and collaborate with Senior Director of Legal Advocacy on litigation and other legal projects
- Update and maintain a document to track the status of all Legal Department work
- Help develop the field of Animal Law
- Recruit and hire legal interns
- Onboard and supervise legal interns
- Occasionally speak at conferences or other venues
Qualifications/Who We’re Looking For:
- At least 3-5 years of litigation experience
- Outstanding legal ability
- Strong writing and public speaking skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Takes initiative
- Demonstrated commitment to Animal Outlook’s mission and core values
- Experience practicing animal law
- Knowledge of the animal agriculture industry and its treatment of animals
- Thrive on challenges
- Proficiency with LexisNexis o Familiarity with Google Drive a plus
About Animal Outlook
Animal Outlook (AO) is a national non-profit animal protection charity working to disrupt animal agribusiness and create a kinder world for all. AO is seeking a Director of Operations to oversee the organization’s operational function, manage and fulfill HR needs, and assist with finance management.