Animal Care Assistant (Seasonal position)
Description: Animal Place is an animal rights organization promoting the complete protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. There are two facilities: a 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA that serves as a permanent safe haven for farmed animals as well as education center and the Rescue and Adoption facility in Petaluma, CA which provides temporary home for adoptable farmed animals, with a special emphasis on chickens from the egg industry. If you are unfamiliar with Animal Place, visit our website at www.animalplace.org before considering applying.
Job Title: Animal Care Assistant
Job Status: Full-time or Part-time, 3 month employment with the possibility of staying on longer depending on the needs of the sanctuary.
Immediate Supervisor: Animal Care Manager
Job Description: The Animal Care Assistant works out of the Grass Valley sanctuary and assists in the care of the 350+ animals (pigs, chickens, cows, turkeys, sheep, goats, rabbits, donkeys) living at the sanctuary under supervision of the Animal Care Manager. Animal Care Assistants are responsible for cleaning and maintaining animal living quarters, maintaining sanctuary property, restocking supplies, running errands, and socializing with the animal residents. See below for specific responsibilities and duties. This position is a great fit for individuals who enjoy physical labor in an outdoor setting.
- Passionate about working for and with farmed animals
- Keen interest in the animal welfare/rights movement is encouraged
- Reliable and dependable
- Good animal behavior and observation skills
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather (average low is 35F) and hot summers (average high is 95-100F)
- Able to lift 40 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor
- Work well with a variety of people
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed instructions and meet time sensitive demands
- Able to learn and process new information quickly
- Team player and self-motivator
- Able to complete tasks with little to no supervision
- Committed to Animal Place’s mission and a desire to be a part of the Animal Place family
- Willing to work on weekend/holidays/varying shift times
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification)
Job Duties include
- Daily cleaning duties and maintaining the barns and shelter areas
- Re-stocking feed, straw, and supplies
- Assisting caregivers with medical tasks and animal health checks
- Assisting in the training and supervision of volunteers and interns
- Socializing and monitoring animals as needed
Hours/Days: Full-time is 40 hours/week, 8 hour work days. Shift times vary and days off are subject to change.
Part-time is 16-20 hours/week with 4 or 6 hour shifts based on the needs of the sanctuary. Part-time animal care assistants must be available to work between the hours of 8:30am and 12:30pm.
Benefits: Full-time employees: Health insurance after 90 days, 403b with employer match up to 3% after 1 year, 6 paid holidays; 10 days’ vacation and 5 days sick time
Part-time employees are not eligible for employer provided health insurance, and accrue sick and vacation days based on the amount of hours worked each week.
Start Date: April 2023
How to Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and DMV check prior to employment. Candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to employment.
Animal Place is fully committed to equal employment opportunity, and company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, gender, religion, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
About Animal Place
Organization: Animal Place is a nonprofit sanctuary for farmed animals and an education/advocacy organization. It operates two shelters in northern California. Its headquarters is located on 600-acres in Grass Valley, (60 miles north of Sacramento) with a Rescue & Adoption Center in Petaluma.