Position: The Animal Caregiver assists in the care of the 350+ animals (pigs, chickens, cows, turkeys, sheep, goats, rabbits, Donkeys) living at the sanctuary under supervision of the Animal Care Director. Animal Caregivers are responsible for the cleaning, feeding, and medical care of the animals. See below for specific responsibilities and duties.
Immediate Supervisor: Animal Care Director
- Animal feeding/watering and maintaining animal feed schedules
- Daily animal health care and maintaining treatment records
- Daily cleaning duties and maintaining the shelter areas
- Aiding with weekly species health checks
- Training and supervising shelter interns and volunteers
- Assisting with veterinary visits and setting up treatment protocols
- Completing shelter office projects as assigned
- Maintaining sanctuary grounds
- Passionate about working for and with farmed animals
- Previous farmed animal sanctuary experience required (1-2 years)
- Reliable and dependable
- Good animal behavior and observation skills
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather (average low is 35F) and hot summers (average high is 95-100F)
- Able to lift 50 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor. Large portion of this position is cleaning barns, restocking
- supplies such as feed bags(50lbs), and working with other animal care staff to move straw and hay bales weighing up to 100lbs.
- Works well with a variety of people
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed verbal and written instructions and meet time sensitive demands
- Able to learn and process new information quickly
- Team player and self-motivator
- Comfortable dealing politely with the general public
- Committed to Animal Place’s mission and a desire to be a part of the Animal Place family
- Willing to work on weekend/holidays/varying shift times
- Able to maintain varied shift times. Early shifts beginning as early as 5am and late shifts ending as late as 9:30pm. Each caregiver is on a variety of these shifts each week.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification) Ability to drive Animal Place vehicles including trucks, cargo vans, and stock trailers is required for this position.
On-site Housing: ONE person only unit
Additional live-in responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- On-call 2-3 days a week, on-call must remain on the property overnight
- Covering shifts as needed
- Being available for emergency situations when not on shift
- Able to handle emergency situations independently
Salary: $14/hr DOE, performance review after 3 months
Hours/Days: 40 hours/week, days off vary; schedule subject to change at any time, required to work weekends and most holidays. Shift times vary, opening shifts start as early as 5am, closing shifts end as late as 9:30pm, every caregiver is on a variety of these shifts each week.
Benefits Package: Health insurance, vacation, and some paid holidays
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume via email to Humanresources@animalplace.org, send resume in the body of email do not send attachments
In subject line, write Full-Time Animal Caregiver application.
Faxes cannot be accepted. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing
About Animal Place
Who is Animal Place?
Animal Place has been around for YEARS. Since 1989, we’ve provided sanctuary to farmed animals saved from cruelty. We pride ourselves on not only saving lives (32,000 and counting) but also offering robust vegan advocacy programs. We don’t just save lives, we work to prevent suffering through humane education. Our main sanctuary is on 600-acres in Grass Valley, California. Our second facility is in Petaluma, on 12-acres. There, we legally liberate hens from egg farms, help them recover, then find them forever homes through our rescue & adoption program. Oh, and we have a house for residential interns and a guest house for overnight visitors!
So you would be joining one of the largest, oldest, and - dare we say it - BEST sanctuaries in the country! And if you have not heard of us, we suggest you visit our website and make sure our ethics align with yours: animalplace.org