Job Title: Animal Caregiver
Job Status: Full-Time, Grass Valley
Immediate Supervisor: Animal Care Director
Job Description: The Live-In (housing provided) Animal Caregiver assists in the care of 400 animals (pigs, chickens, cows, turkeys, sheep, goats, rabbits, donkeys) at the sanctuary under supervision of the Animal Care Director. Animal Caregivers are responsible for the cleaning, feeding, and medical care of the animals. See below for specific responsibilities and duties.
- Passionate about working for and with farmed animals
- 1-2 years’ experience working with animals
- Good animal behavior and observation skills
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed instructions and meet time sensitive demands
- Able to learn and process new information quickly
- Team player and self-motivator
- Reliable and dependable
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather (average low is 35F) and hot summers (average high is 95-100F)
- Able to lift 40-50 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor
- Committed to Animal Place’s mission and a desire to be a part of the Animal Place family
- Willing and able to work on weekend/holidays/varying shift times
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification)
- Vegan diet preferred (No animal products permitted in the housing unit)
- Animal feeding/watering and maintaining animal feed schedules
- Daily animal health care and maintaining treatment records
- Daily cleaning duties and maintaining the shelter areas
- Aiding with weekly health checks
- Assisting with veterinary visits and setting up treatment protocols
- Completing shelter projects as assigned
- Maintaining sanctuary grounds
- Training and supervising volunteers
- Ability to drive Animal Place vehicles including trucks, cargo vans, and stock trailers is required for this position.
- Transport animals as needed for rescues and veterinary appointment
Onsite Housing: Companion animals okay with approval from Animal Care Director
Additional live-in responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- On-call 2-3 days a week, on-call must remain on the property overnight
- Covering shifts as needed
- Being available for emergency situations when not on shift
- Handle emergency situations independently
- Able to take lead and direct volunteers, interns, and other employees in emergency situations
- Excellent problem solving, animal observation and critical thinking skills
Hours/Days: 40 hours/week, days vary; schedule subject to change at any time, required to work weekends and most holidays.
Salary: $17/hour, performance evaluation after 6 months
Benefits: Health insurance after 90-day probation, 403b with employer match up to 3% after 1 year of employment, vacation package and sick time, relocation assistance available
Start Date: ASAP
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume via email to Humanresources@animalplace.org, with full-time animal caregiver in subject line. Faxes cannot be accepted. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and DMV check prior to employment. Candidates must be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 prior to employment.
Animal Place is fully committed to equal employment opportunity, and company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, gender, religion, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
About Animal Place
Organization: Animal Place is a nonprofit sanctuary for farmed animals and an education/advocacy organization. It operates two shelters in northern California. Its headquarters is located on 600-acres in Grass Valley, (60 miles north of Sacramento) with a Rescue & Adoption Center in Petaluma. This is a remote position.