Job Title: Live-in Animal Caregiver
Job Status: Full-Time, Grass Valley
Immediate Supervisor: Animal Care Manager
Job Description: The Animal Caregiver (live-in) is responsible for the cleaning, feeding, and medicating of the animal residents as well as supervising animal care staff and volunteers. You work under the supervision of the Animal Care Manager and alongside a team of dedicated caregivers to provide care of the 300+ animals (pigs, chickens, cows, turkeys, sheep, goats, rabbits, donkeys, tortoises) at the sanctuary. See below for specific responsibilities and duties.
- Passionate about working for and with farmed animals and a commitment to Animal Place’s mission
- 1-2 years’ experience working with animals in a professional setting
- Good animal behavior and observation skills
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed instructions and meet time sensitive demands
- Able to learn and process new information quickly
- Reliable, dependable, team player and self-motivator
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather (average low is 35F) and hot summers (average high is 95-100F)
- Able to lift 40-50 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor
- Willing and able to work on weekend/holidays/varying shift times
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification)
- Able to drive Animal Place vehicles including trucks, cargo vans, and stock trailers
- Vegan diet required (No animal products permitted in the housing unit or on sanctuary grounds)
- Animal feeding/watering
- Daily animal health care and maintaining treatment records
- Daily cleaning duties and maintaining the shelter areas
- Assisting with veterinary visits
- Completing shelter projects as assigned
- Maintaining sanctuary grounds
- Training and supervising caregivers and animal care volunteers
- Transport animals as needed for rescues and veterinary appointments
On-site Housing: Single occupancy, 1 bedroom cottage. Companion animals subject to approval
Additional live-in responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- On-call 2-3 days a week, on-call must remain on the property overnight
- Handle emergency situations independently
- Able to take lead and direct volunteers, interns, and other employees in emergency situations
- Excellent problem solving, animal observation and critical thinking skills
Hours/Days: 40 hours/week, days vary; schedule subject to change at any time, required to work weekends and most holidays.
Salary: $17/hour, performance evaluation after 6 months
Benefits: Health insurance after 90 days, 180-day probation period for live-in caregivers, 403b with employer match up to 3% after 1 year, 6 paid holidays; 10 days’ vacation and 5 days sick time
Start Date: Immediate
How to Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and DMV check prior to employment. Candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to employment.
Animal Place is fully committed to equal employment opportunity, and company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, gender, religion, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
About Animal Place
Organization: Animal Place is a nonprofit sanctuary for farmed animals and an education/advocacy organization. It operates two shelters in northern California. Its headquarters is located on 600-acres in Grass Valley, (60 miles north of Sacramento) with a Rescue & Adoption Center in Petaluma. This is a remote position.