Organization Description: Animal Place is a sanctuary and animal rights organization promoting the complete protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. There are two facilities: a 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA that serves as a permanent safe haven for farmed animals and an education center and the 12-acre Rescue and Adoption facility in Petaluma, CA. The Rescue and Adoption facility provides a temporary home for adoptable farmed animals, with a special emphasis on chickens from the egg industry. If you are unfamiliar with Animal Place, visit our website at www.animalplace.org before considering applying.
Job Title: Animal Care Manager
Job Status: Full Time, Grass Valley, CA
Immediate Supervisor: Animal Care Medical Director
Position: The Animal Care Manager assists in the care of the 300 animals (pigs, chickens, cows, turkeys, sheep, goats, rabbits) living at the sanctuary under supervision of the Animal Care Medical Director. This position works alongside the Senior Animal Care Manager to ensure all animals under Animal Place’s care are provided with the highest quality of care. They are responsible for co-managing a team of 8-10 animal care staff as well as many volunteers and interns. See below for specific responsibilities and duties.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for the daily operations of the animal care team to ensure the animal residents are receiving consistent high quality care and that all treatment, quarantine, feeding, and safety protocols are being followed by animal care staff
- Work with Senior Animal Care Manager and Animal Care Medical Director to interview, hire, train, and supervise animal care staff, interns, and volunteers
- Lead/Co-lead animal care meetings
- Work with Senior Animal Care Manager to provide feedback and evaluations to animal care team members
- Meet regularly with the Senior Animal Care Manager and Animal Care Medical Director to discuss ongoing animal treatments, animal enrichment ideas, and to ensure department is running smoothly
- Complete animal caregiving shifts and duties as assigned
- Daily feeding, cleaning, and medicating of animals and animal houses/pastures
- Monitor animal health, provide prompt care to animal residents, and maintain animal treatment records and notes
- Assist and/or lead veterinary visits.
- Transport animals to/from veterinary hospitals
- A strong commitment to Animal Place’s mission of veganism and animal rights
- 1 year of animal rescue/shelter experience required
- 1 year of experience working with farmed animals preferred
- Strong leadership skills and ability to effectively lead animal care staff to create a cohesive and positive work environment
- Ability to strategize, problem solve and take initiative
- Reliable and dependable
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed instructions and meet time sensitive demands
- Able to learn and process new information quickly
- Team player and self motivator
- Comfortable dealing politely with the general public
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather (average low is 35F) and hot summers (average high is 95-100F)
- Able to lift 40-50 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification)
- Comfortable driving large vehicles including stock trailers and sprinter vans
Hours/Days: 40 hours/week, days off vary; schedule subject to change at any time, required to work most holidays
Benefits Package: Health insurance after 90-day employment, 403b (Animal Place matches 3% after one year), vacation, holiday and sick time package, monthly commuting stipend
Start Date: July 2023
How to Apply: Email cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. In subject line, write Animal Care Manager.
About Animal Place
Animal Place is one of the oldest and largest sanctuaries for farmed animals in the country. Nestled on 600-acres in Grass Valley, CA, Animal Place provides refuge to hundreds of neglected farmed animals. In addition to permanent sanctuary, Animal Place’s new Rescue and Adoption Center in Petaluma is focused on placing needy farmed animals into permanent homes.