Animal Protection New Mexico Employment Opportunity Job Title: Staff Accountant
Animal Protection New Mexico, Inc. (APNM), a 41-year old nonprofit animal advocacy
organization, is seeking a full time Staff Accountant. This position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and will be based in Albuquerque.
Scope of Position/Duties:
1. Accurately record all financial transactions in QuickBooks accounting system and maintain meticulous records/source documents for multiple entities (including AR and AP).
2. Review monthly reconciliations for multiple bank and investment accounts.
3. Reconcile multiple vendor accounts.
4. Create and update spreadsheets for record keeping as needed.
5. Have a working knowledge of organizational and program budgets and correctly assign income and expenses by classes and accounts.
6. Responsible for assisting with monthly close for multiple entities (including prepaid and accrual accounts).
7. Maintain accuracy of submitted timesheets.
8. Process payroll and responsible for filing and paying payroll taxes.
9. Meet with Chief Financial Officer regularly to set, share and manage work plan.
10. Miscellaneous administrative duties.
11. Assists with financial grant management.
12. Processing EOY 1099s, W2s
1. Advanced proficiency in Quickbooks a must; including journal entries and reconciliations.
2. Working knowledge of GAAP as it relates to nonprofit accounting.
3. Additional proficiency in Microsoft Office a must (primarily Excel).
4. A minimum of 5 years of nonprofit and fund accounting experience.
5. A minimum of 8-10 years of overall accounting experience.
6. Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
2. Strong organizational, problem solving, and analytical skills; ability to manage priorities and workflow.
3. Staff Accounting experience.
4. Good judgment, with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
5. Self motivated, with desire to work in and support a team environment.
6. Can respond with flexibility to reasonable changes in work priorities and circumstances.
Competitive salary, generous paid time off, 100% employer paid health insurance, 70% employer paid dental insurance; employee paid group vision insurance, and employer contribution of up to 1% of salary to a 401K retirement plan annually. Range: $41,564 -$62,346; final offer based on demonstrated relevant experience.
About Animal Protection New Mexico, Inc.
Animal Protection of New Mexico (APNM) is a statewide nonprofit animal advocacy organization that started in 1979, with a paid staff 20 individuals and numerous volunteers. With offices in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, Animal Protection of New Mexico is an equal opportunity employer whose work, approaches, and decisions are informed by guiding principles. Our dedication to employee health and wellness is reflected in the generous benefits package we offer, including opportunities for mindfulness training to help employees build resilience over time, the ability to earn flexible work arrangements, and more.