Position Responsibility: To bring about systemic change for animals in New Mexico through communications and public relations in order to articulate the mission and work of Animal Protection of New Mexico and Animal Protection Voters. Communications and Public Relations Manager (CPRM) is responsible for both managing and directly implementing strategic communications and public relations across all areas of the organizations. CPRM will use the full range of communications tools to achieve goals, including paid and earned media, press releases/advisories/events, APNM/APV’s website, social media platforms, email alerts, and other digital content, with attention to brand discipline and reputation for professionalism, quality, reliability, and relevance in New Mexico’s communities.
· Create and implement a comprehensive Communications Plan
· Create and manage the creation and delivery of rich and creative content that is in line with our brand, engages audience segments with timely and relevant communications, and leads to measurable action.
· Work closely and collaboratively with leadership team, marketing director, and program staff to shape organizational and program messaging, information, outcomes, and vision into effective communication materials.
· Use tools to create and distribute communications, monitor and track communication targets, and identify measurable benchmarks for success (Google Analytics, Sprout Social, Salsa Engage, and Meltwater).
. Maintain all electronic media including, but not limited to press releases and media advisories, email alerts, videos, social media posts, special projects, etc.
. Manage communications related to lobbying efforts during the state legislative session by assisting with monitoring daily activity on-the-ground and generating constituent communications to support legislative work.
. Be on call for quick-turnaround media releases and constituent communications during legislative sessions.
. Under the direction of Marketing Director, contribute graphic design where requested.
· Establish system for sharing and managing digital assets with the Marketing Director.
Term of Employment: Full-time, APNM Salary Level 4
Location: Either Santa Fe or Albuquerque office (work-at-home is required during COVID-19 pandemic)
Reports to: Marketing Director, and Chief Program & Policy Officer
Titles Reporting to Position: None at this time
Travel Requirements: Some travel around New Mexico is expected
Physical Requirements: No special requirements.
· College degree required, with at least five years relevant experience in advocacy communications and public relations.
· Strong background in and understanding of the animal protection movement required.
· Ability to assess problems/issues, and articulate potential solutions and tools to facilitate positive outcomes.
· Ability to effectively and professionally communicate and work with staff (internal clients) in a diverse team environment, and for a diverse constituency.
· Self-motivated, self-confident, detail-oriented.
· Excellent persuasive and professional written and verbal communication skills.
· Can respond with flexibility to changes in work priorities and circumstances.
· Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
· Computer-literate and experienced in using a variety of computer software including email, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, database/advocacy software (Salsa Engage), Meltwater, Smartsheet.
· Familiarity with New Mexico preferred.
· Demonstrable graphic design experience preferred, with online portfolio available for review.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org; Email Deputy Director Daniel Abram with questions.
About Animal Protection of New Mexico, Inc.
Animal Protection of New Mexico (APNM) is a statewide nonprofit animal advocacy organization that started in 1979, with a paid staff 20 individuals and numerous volunteers. With offices in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, Animal Protection of New Mexico is an equal opportunity employer whose work, approaches, and decisions are informed by guiding principles. Our dedication to employee health and wellness is reflected in the generous benefits package we offer, including opportunities for mindfulness training to help employees build resilience over time, the ability to earn flexible work arrangements, and more.