Job Title: Strategic Outreach Coordinator
Posting Date(s): August 30, 2018 to October 31, 2018
Employment Start Date: October 31, 2018 or sooner
Employment Category: Part-Time; Non-Exempt; Hourly; Approximately 60 hrs/mo of work available
Location: Albuquerque & Santa Fe Offices, extensive field work/travel required
Reports To: Chief Legislative Officer
Summary of Position:
To bring about systemic change for animals in New Mexico by providing support for the mission and work of Animal Protection of New Mexico and Animal Protection Voters. The Strategic Outreach Coordinator will help advance APNM/APV’s messages and capacity for impact in New Mexico’s communities primarily by seeking out and utilizing opportunities for public outreach, education, and grassroots organizing, while also being prepared to address other organizational needs when required.
- Understand APNM’s current programs and, especially, APV’s legislative priorities, and develop an outreach strategy and schedule, under the guidance of the supervising Chief Legislative Officer.
- Implement the schedule of outreach, education, and organizing opportunities, working as needed with volunteers.
- Assist legislative staff with community organizing, awareness building, and brand recognition opportunities in order advance key messages, and grow APNM/APV’s number of citizen lobbyists, volunteers, financial supporters, advocates and email-list subscribers in key legislative districts.
- Monitor and maintain print collateral (brochures, magazines, sign-up sheets) and equipment (tables, tablecloths, chairs, clipboards, brochure stands, etc.) needed to conduct outreach.
Skills and Competency Areas:
- Excellent interpersonal and engagement skills with ability to build rapport across diverse audiences
- Strong oratory and presentation abilities
- Organized with proven planning and time management skills
- Demonstrated sensitivity to others with a strong customer focus
- Resourceful in ability to find cost savings and discounts in lodging
- Collaborates well with others
- Excellent work standards with an attention to a professional appearance
Travel Requirements: Current NM driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance; clean driving record; flexible schedule with ability to travel (willingness to use personal vehicle for work (mileage expenses are reimbursed).
Minimum Physical Requirements: Ability to lift objects up to 35 lbs including boxes of brochures and magazines, folding tables and chairs, projection screens; ability to stand for prolonged periods of time (4-8 hours, with breaks).
Education/Experience Requirements: High school diploma with some education beyond high school (such as associate degree or relevant certification classes) required; familiarity with use of iPads/tablets and Square swipe transactions preferred; familiarity with New Mexico culture and politics preferred; familiarity with animal welfare movement strongly preferred; bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
How to Apply: Send resume and cover letter via email to Jessica Johnson, Chief Legislative Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Animal Protection of New Mexico, Inc.
Animal Protection of New Mexico (APNM) is a statewide nonprofit animal advocacy organization that started in 1979, with a paid staff of about 18 individuals and numerous volunteers. With offices in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, Animal Protection of New Mexico is an equal opportunity employer whose work, approaches, and decisions are informed by guiding principles. Our dedication to employee health and wellness is reflected in the generous benefits package we offer, including opportunities for mindfulness training to help employees build resilience over time, the ability to earn flexible work arrangements, and more.