Summary of Position: Develop and implement plant-based eating program to focus on expanding plant-based eating where there is the highest potential for impact and outcomes, particularly at institutions, in conjunction with government agencies, at businesses, and through strategic outreach to the public. Research existing models and successes, determine community readiness/opportunities, and create and implement phased, three-year plan. Establish partnerships with agencies, public and private institutions/businesses, relevant professionals. Establish and utilize a community-based health care professional ambassador committee to maximize impact. Explore other potential funding sources to support program long-term. Examine potential for collaboration with existing programs and initiatives.
- Employment Start Date: Immediately
- Employment Category: Full-time, term employment
- Compensation & Benefits: Competitive salary, generous paid time off, 100% employer paid health insurance, 70% employer paid dental insurance; employee paid group vision insurance, and up to 1% of salary employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan annually.
- Location: Based primarily in APNM’s Albuquerque office, but may also need to occasionally work from APNM’s Santa Fe office.
- Reporting: This position reports to the Deputy Director. No staff report to this position.
Skills and Competency Areas:
- Excellent assessment and planning skills, including the ability to identify issues, articulate potential solutions, and identify tools that facilitate positive outcomes
- Ability to implement a plan, overcoming obstacles along the way using creativity and innovation, and commitment to completing tasks
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate and work with a diverse constituency (diverse in ethnicity, gender, age, opinions, etc.)
- Excellent “people skills” including collaboration, persuasiveness, team and rapport building, listening skills, conversational ease, flexibility, assertiveness, and effectively handling confrontation
- Desire to work in and support a team environment and its goals; experienced with team leadership
- Self-motivated and self-confident
- Excellent persuasive and professional writing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Can respond with flexibility to reasonable changes in work priorities and circumstances
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Macintosh computer-literate, and experienced in using a variety of computer software programs including e-mail, Microsoft Office products (particularly Powerpoint), other web-based software products, and social media
- Ability to problem-solve and address conflicts in a calm and rational manner
- Familiarity with New Mexico preferred
Travel Requirements: Some travel around New Mexico is expected, with most work likely taking place in the metro areas of Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Las Cruces. Must have a valid New Mexico driver’s license and be able to use personal vehicle for work-related travel.
Minimum Physical Requirements: Must be able to perform job duties in a normal office/work environment.
- College degree, or at least three years relevant experience in program development and implementation
- Candidate must be vegan
About Animal Protection of New Mexico
Animal Protection of New Mexico (APNM) is a statewide nonprofit animal advocacy organization that started in 1979, with a paid staff of about 18 individuals and numerous volunteers. With offices in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, Animal Protection of New Mexico is an equal opportunity employer whose work, approaches, and decisions are informed by guiding principles. Our dedication to employee health and wellness is reflected in the generous benefits package we offer, including opportunities for mindfulness training to help employees build resilience over time, the ability to earn flexible work arrangements, and more.