Title: Head of Development
Grade: Open to both half-time and full-time applicants.
Location: Remote, preference for U.S. time zone, open to others
Start Date: Flexible, ideally starting date in May 2021
The overarching aim of the Aquatic Life Institute is to improve aquatic lives by supporting, accelerating, and directing the growth of the aquatic animal welfare movement. In support of this goal, ALI oversees affiliate coalition groups, including the Aquatic Animal Alliance. We are seeking an experienced Head of Development.
Primary Work Function: The Aquatic Life Institute is seeking a Head of Development to lead the fundraising planning process.
Our Culture: At ALI, our daily work is motivated by the understanding that aquaculture is the fastest-growing food sector worldwide and the site of preventable harm to billions of animals. This intense urgency translates into a passionate, fast-paced, and highly ambitious agenda. We are a nonprofit with a startup-inspired culture, actively integrating practices from the private sector to better our advocacy work. There is no typical day at ALI and we are seeking a Head of Development ready to optimize and hone this momentum.
The Head of Development will be charged with:
- Lead the annual fundraising planning process to produce effective strategies to achieve income targets across the range of revenue streams.
- In cooperation with the Managing Director, lead the development of strategies to achieve agreed-upon long-term organizational goals.
- Identify new potential income streams and produce strategies to access these funds.
- Recruit sponsors, participants, or volunteers for fundraising events.
- Undertake online research and build contacts with potential individual donors and raise funds for the activities of the organization.
- Maintain relationships with existing donors and respond to their requests regularly and keep them apprised about the work of the organization; develop donor reports.
- Undertake independent research in finding alternative resources for long-term sustainability of the organization.
- Compile and maintain a database of international and local donor organizations.
- Help organize programs and activities in accordance with the mission and goals of the organization.
- Develop and maintain collaborations with external organizations.
Additional Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor trends to identify the best areas of action.
- Actively participate in movement calls, discussions, working groups, and Slack channels outside of the Aquatic Life Institute.
- Support ALI staff and troubleshoot alongside the Managing Director and Founder & President.
- Scout potential new organizational partners.
- Have at least three years of high-level donor fundraising.
- At least two years of experience managing projects.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking.
- Experience developing and implementing a broad-based fundraising program, including personally opening doors, cultivating and successfully closing major gifts.
- Possess a track record of identifying, securing, and maintaining significant, multi-year, multi-million, public funds from donors internationally.
- Grant writing and project management experience are required—progressive experience in successful development programs and knowledge of “best practices” in development.
Preferred Attributes (we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet these):
- Know the international philanthropic donor landscape and trends, with demonstrable experience in fundraising with a diverse group of donors, including private and corporate foundations and governments
- Good knowledge of and a passion for aquatic animal welfare
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and extremely resourceful
- Graduate-level academic education in a relevant field
- Strong organizational skills
- Familiarity with fish welfare and the fishing and aquaculture industry is a plus
- Familiarity with the animal advocacy movement and its strategies is a plus
- Familiarity with effective altruism is a plus
- Familiarity with intersecting issues (human rights, conservation, etc.) is a plus
Dependant on experience.
To apply, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with a short cover letter and resume. Successful applicants may engage in multiple rounds of interviews and may be asked to complete a sample task. At least two references may be required.
Applicants received before May 20th may receive priority.
Historically, we have been lucky enough to receive an overwhelming number of applications, so we apologize in advance if we do not respond to your correspondence quickly.
ALI is a proud equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and consider all applicants for employment without attention to race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic. This is core to both our ethical underpinnings and our success as a globally-engaged team. For any questions or if you are in need of any assistance, please reach out via email. If you do not meet the above qualifications but believe you would be a great fit, please feel free to apply.
About Aquatic Life Institute
The overarching aim of the Aquatic Life Institute is to support and accelerate activities that positively impact aquatic life. ALI aims to become a central and pivotal organization in efforts to improve the welfare of farmed fish globally. ALI will also work to reduce the number of wild fish used for fish feed and their suffering at the time of catch by working with certifiers, the industry, existing nonprofits, and legislators.
Our Culture: At ALI, our daily work is motivated by the understanding that aquaculture is the fastest growing food sector worldwide and the site of preventable harm to trillions. This intense urgency translates into a passionate, fast-paced, and highly ambitious agenda. We are a nonprofit with a startup-inspired culture, actively integrating practices from the private sector to better our advocacy work. There is no typical day at ALI and we are seeking and Managing Director ready to optimize and hone this momentum.