Shelter Caregivers are part of a team of shelter workers who are assigned one of four animal care areas each day: barn cleaning, animal feeding and watering, shelter projects, or animal health care assistance. Shelter workers must be able to complete any of the four areas assigned and complete all tasks assigned within these animal care areas.
Career Path: Opportunity for growth in developing farm animal sanctuary.
• Animal feeding and maintaining animal feeding schedules
• Animal watering and maintaining animal watering schedules
• Barn cleaning
• Shelter cleaning projects as assigned
• Assisting with animal health care and health checks Qualifications
• Good animal behavior observation skills
• Able to work in all weather conditions
• Able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting
• Must be able to follow detailed instructions and maintain animal care schedules as assigned
• Ability to work well with variety of people
• Team player
• Very reliable and dependable
• Commitment to Asha’s Farm Sanctuary’s animal care policies
• Commitment to Asha’s Farm Sanctuary’s organizational programs and goals
• One year experience at animal care facility preferred and/or animal advocacy volunteer history • Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required
• Shelter Caregiver Assistants should have a strong desire and ability to do hands-on shelter work and a personal commitment to rescuing and protecting farm animals. Caregiver Assistants are vital team members of our shelters, where providing quality animal care is the number one priority.
Salary and Benefits:
• $16 per hour PLUS competitive Total Compensation Package (TCP after 3 month probationary period)
• 11 paid personal days after 3 month probationary period and pro-rated first calendar year. 100% reimbursement for unused days the following calendar year.
• Paid holidays or double-time after 3 month probationary period.
• Free Dental after 3 month probationary period.
• Free Vision after 3 month probationary period.
• 401K Employer Match after 3 month probationary period.
• Competitive medical plan (contribution ratio: 75% employer / 25% employee) after 3 month probationary period.
• Full-time, non-exempt position.
• Work schedule varies; regular weekend and holiday availability required.
• Evening hours may be required during special events and summer months.
• Occasional travel may be required to assist with transport for animal adoptions or rescues.
• Overtime as needed required.
• Call in as needed required.
• All applicants considered for phone or onsite interviews are required to complete Asha Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application at: http://www.ashasfarmanctuary.org Instructions for sending supplemental materials will be provided within the application
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $16.00 per hour
About Asha's Farm Sanctuary
Asha was my canine companion. I named her that because it means life, and that is exactly what she gave me. My baby, Asha, died of cancer at only 11 years old. The hardest part for me was seeing her leave this world when I desperately wanted her to stay. Shortly after her death, I searched for more meaning in my life. That's when I was pressed to investigate auction houses. There I witnessed the heartless and abusive treatment of newborn baby calves, young goats, chickens and pigs. They were scared and frightened, and at the time I could not help. I thought about Asha and how she showed me that life is so short. Without any further thought, I sold my comfortable home in the suburbs, quit my job and founded Asha's Farm Sanctuary. In losing Asha, I realized that our time on earth is but a glimpse. I wanted to make a difference for animals being farmed by exposing the cruelty and giving people a chance to see they are no different than a dog and cat. I honored my canine companion by naming the sanctuary after her. Later I learned that Asha means "hope" too. I miss her deeply to this day, but I know that her spirit lives on at the sanctuary and in each and every animal we give life to and hope for a compassionate world.
president and founder
Asha's Farm Sanctuary