Barn Sanctuary’s Animal Care Team is tasked with ensuring we provide the highest level of care for our sanctuary residents. Animal Caregivers are assigned a broad range of daily responsibilities including animal feeding and watering, ensuring safe and clean living environments for the rescues, administering medications and health checks when appropriate and tending to the overall health and happiness of the rescued residents.
Caregivers report to our Care Director, work closely with our Facilities staff on ensuring living spaces are secure, safe and provide ample animal enrichment opportunity, and responsible for supervising any animal care interns or volunteers on-site.
- Animal feeding/watering and maintaining animal feed schedule
- Daily animal health care and treatments
- Animal health checks/individual checks of each species
- Animal health care projects as assigned; may include feed ordering, medications and medical supply ordering, database, and animal charting
- Barn and shelter cleaning projects
- Volunteer supervision and training as assigned
- Reporting animal health and/or other shelter problems directly to Animal Care Director
- Research new treatment options for various conditions as assigned
- Work with veterinarians to develop treatment protocols, etc. as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
Animal Caregivers work closely with the Animal Care Director to ensure quality animal care, appropriate treatment plans, and maintenance of all animal feeds and watering schedules.
- Preferred: Vet Tech or Vet Assistant experience
- Minimum of one year experience at animal care facility strongly preferred and/or animal advocacy volunteer history
- Strong desire and ability to do hands-on shelter work
- Good animal behavior observation skills
- Able to work in all weather conditions
- Able to perform strenuous physical labor and lift at least 40 pounds
- Comfortable working on own; as each employee has individual work assignments each day
- Must be able to follow detailed instructions and maintain animal care schedules as assigned
- Team player with ability to work well with a variety of people, including volunteers
- Very reliable and dependable
- Positive attitude
- Patient and able to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Commitment to Barn Sanctuary’s animal care policies
- Commitment to Barn Sanctuary’s organization programs and goals
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Flexibility with schedule
- Full time, non-exempt position
- Criminal background check
- Work schedule varies; regular weekend and holiday availability required
- Some evening hours required during summer months
- Occasional travel may be required to assist with transport for animal rescues and vet appointments
Salary: commensurate with experience
Benefits package, including paid holidays; personal days; vacation and sick leave; health, dental, and vision stipend.
About Barn Sanctuary
Barn Sanctuary is dedicated to rescuing and rehabilitating abused and neglected farmed animals by creating a safe haven where these individuals can recover, thrive, and serve as an example for why we strive to lead society towards a vegan lifestyle.
We envision a world in which farmed animals are seen as individuals and treated with empathy and compassion.