Title: Staff Writer/Editor
Reports to: Director of Operations
Location: London or Berlin preferred; remote possible
Hours: Part-time or full-time
Deadline: December 11th 2019
Beyond Carnism is a US-based, international organization dedicated to exposing and transforming carnism, the invisible belief system that conditions people to eat certain animals. Beyond Carnism is the first and only organization that focuses exclusively on carnism, making it a pioneering and landmark institution and a hub of international carnism-awareness activity.
Inspired by the writings of our founder and president Melanie Joy, our programs and campaigns are innovative and powerful, and have been proven to have a significant global impact. We are run by a committed, compassionate, and exceptionally talented team in the US and Europe.
Beyond Carnism is a young, vibrant organization with significant potential to grow our programs and increase our impact. We are also in the process of rebranding to incorporate a broader focus that includes social transformation, relational literacy (understanding healthy relational dynamics), and mindfulness. We are seeking a talented, dedicated, self-directed individual with a commitment to strategic thinking, animal rights, social justice, relational health, and personal integrity to join our team and help take Beyond Carnism to the next level.
The Staff Writer/Editor will play a key role in helping to improve and grow Beyond Carnism’s communications and will work closely with Melanie Joy and our communications team. Tasks include creating powerful, sticky content to disseminate our key ideas among various channels; producing media reports; drafting press releases; editing Melanie Joy’s writing when needed; and helping develop and edit content for campaigns (videos, articles, etc.). The Staff Writer/Editor will also review and revise internal communications when necessary, to help ensure messaging is consistent and clear. The successful candidate will have excellent English written and spoken communication skills, and will have a background in professional (English) writing. They will also have a solid understanding of the animal rights movement as well as of the key concepts and values promoted by Beyond Carnism (e.g., carnism, effective vegan advocacy, and social justice). They will also be committed to the Beyond Carnism mission.
- Write and edit content for all our platforms based on our materials
- Provide editorial support to Melanie Joy when needed
- Review and revise internal communications when necessary
- Work closely with communications team to develop and edit content for campaigns and social media
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
We are looking for a highly organized, action-oriented, self-directed individual who has a strong commitment to social justice, animal rights, relationality, mindfulness, effective altruism, and the mission of Beyond Carnism. The Staff Writer/Editor will embody the core values of Beyond Carnism and should also be able to work independently (without close oversight), and possess the following:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a writing, editorial, or communications role
- An excellent eye for, and commitment to, detail
- Exceptional English communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent editorial skills
- Thorough knowledge of carnism and the vegan movement; experience working in animal rights a plus
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and effectively manage priorities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Willingness to take on different responsibilities and tasks as needed
- Understanding of and commitment to the principles of effective altruism
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Beyond Carnism, including a commitment to intersectionality and a willingness to become literate about privilege and oppression
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with various stakeholders, including donors and board members
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent strategic and critical thinking skills
- Interest in mindfulness a plus
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and CV to Flavia D’Erasmo, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.