Beyond Carnism is seeking a fundraising and development manager to optimize and execute the organization’s fundraising activities, expand our fundraising efforts and help increase our organizational capacity.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for and commitment to Beyond Carnism’s mission and values, and they will have experience developing and executing fundraising strategies. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment without sacrificing quality, and will be highly organized and self-directed, and have exceptional English written and verbal communication skills.
Who We Are
Beyond Carnism is a US-based, international organization dedicated to exposing and transforming carnism, the invisible belief system that conditions people to eat certain animals. Inspired by the work of our founding president, Dr. Melanie Joy, we have created innovative programs and campaigns that have had a significant global impact. Beyond Carnism is a small, vibrant organization with a startup feel and ambitious goals. Our strategic aims over the next three years include making carnism a mainstream term and significantly increasing the reach of our Center for Effective Vegan Advocacy (CEVA). We also aim to build out our newer work on relational literacy, the understanding of and ability to practice healthy ways of relating.
What You’ll Do
The fundraising and development manager, who will report to the executive director, will be responsible for:
- Developing and implementing an annual fundraising plan to increase Beyond Carnism’s revenue
- Growing our small- and mid-level donor program, and collaborating with the executive director and president on major donor stewardship
- Working with the communications and program teams, devising and overseeing a supporter acquisition and supporter journey plan
- Identifying and applying for grants and other funding opportunities, working in collaboration with the executive director and the president
- Supporting the team with the implementation and maintenance of a CRM database
Who You Are
To be successful in this position, you will:
- Care deeply about effective communication: You understand the importance of communicating effectively, and you can speak and write clearly. You aim for accuracy and attention to detail, and you can choose the most appropriate ways to organize and share information. Once provided with guidance, you can select the most suitable channel and tone for any communication.
- Have a minimum of three years of experience in fundraising in a nonprofit organization: You have a track record of cultivating relationships with potential and existing donors and have experience securing grants from foundations. You can confidently develop and implement a fundraising strategy that is in line with the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Be strategic and solution-oriented: You can consistently come up with insightful, pragmatic, equitable, and sustainable ways to overcome challenges, and leverage resources to solve problems creatively. You propose solutions to issues without much guidance but aren’t afraid to ask questions. You can adapt to the organization’s evolving needs and think 3 (or 30) steps ahead to develop solutions that achieve goals. You are committed to executing both the day-to-day tasks and high-level planning necessary for a successful fundraising program.
- Be self-directed, highly organized, motivated, and detail-oriented: You are highly organized and have exceptional attention to detail in a fast-paced, high-work-volume environment. You triple-check your work, even in a crunch for time. You notice and fix errors that others might overlook, and you’re able to effectively plan and prioritize when faced with competing deadlines. You successfully manage high-stakes work and value quality over quantity. You stay ahead of the curve in an ever-changing technology environment.
- Be committed to the values of Beyond Carnism: You will contribute to our culture by being committed to our core values, which include relationality, compassion, integrity, open-mindedness, inclusivity, strategic thinking, and effective altruism. You will also demonstrate a commitment to continuous learning and show a high level of self-awareness.
If you were here right now, you would be:
- Designing a fundraising strategy based on our three-year strategy
- Drafting fundraising and development communications and related materials in collaboration with the communications team
- Managing the fundraising and development communications calendar, keeping our donors up to date on our activities
- Producing reports on and analyses of fundraising activities
What Else You Should Know
At Beyond Carnism, we are committed to equal opportunities and to creating a diverse and inclusive work culture. The commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity is one of our core values and is reflected in our internal and external communications. We especially encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities to apply. Furthermore, all employees are required to become literate around privilege and systems of oppression, and we will provide the information necessary to help staff develop such awareness.
The position can be part-time or full-time and is remote with occasional opportunities to travel to meet with the team. This position is open to candidates anywhere in the world. The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. We also offer excellent benefits such as flexible working hours, 24 days of PTO (paid time off), pension contributions, health insurance coverage, and a home-office equipment budget.
How to Apply
To apply or have an informal chat about the role, please contact Graham at Bamboo Fundraising at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on +442037503111.
Deadline: open until position filled
We would like to fill this position as soon as possible, so we will interview on a rolling basis.