Animal Care team members at Catskill Animal Sanctuary provide all the fundamental care required to ensure the physical and emotional health of our animals. As a member of the animal healthcare team your responsibilities will include providing medications and treatments under the supervision of a Healthcare Manager, administration and organization, special projects and independent execution of daily tasks. Healthcare Assistants may also develop deep concentrations in farm animal species and lead in the enrichment and care of those animals. This position may, at times, be fast-paced and physically demanding in all weather conditions. Successful candidates will be accustomed to and thrive in such a work environment.
The responsibilities for this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Animal Care
- Support in the exceptional care, both physical and psychological, of each resident
- Clean animal enclosures and the infirmary as needed
- Administer medications and treatments
- Participate in animal enrichment activities
- Support healthcare checks
- Monitor animals’ health
- Participate in veterinarian visits on and offsite
- Accurate and up-to-date data entry and record keeping of animal health, moves, concerns and enrichment
- Maintain first aid kit: order, restock, monitor
- Maintain animal health care inventory and supply orders; Researching supply options for best price and quality
- Drafting protocols and updates within animal care to create the CAS Animal Care manual
- Support the healthcare database administration and transition to a new database (if determined)
- Participating in staff and management meetings as needed
- A passion for the CAS mission
- The desire to be part of a team dedicated to building best practices across the entire organization
- Farmed animal experience (e.g. goats, cows, chickens, sheep, horses, etc.) preferred
- Strong organizational skills with a proven ability to manage multiple priorities and projects in fast-paced work environment
- Administrative skills including proficiency with Microsoft and Google applications; drafting work instructions and processes and inventory management
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to work well with a variety of staff and external partners in accordance with our Code of Conduct
- Ability to perform necessary duties in enclosed & open environments in all weather conditions through the year
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Ability to lift 50 – 75 lbs and hold animals during healthcare
- Willingness to work weekends, evenings and holidays
Please have a thorough understanding of Catskill Animal Sanctuary’s mission. See our website www.casanctuary.org
This is a full-time position located primarily at either our location on Old Stage Road or Route 32. Starting salary is $19.50/hour. Will have a 90-day probationary period. Benefits include paid vacations and healthcare coverage.
Candidates must be available to be added to the schedule and commute to work within four weeks of offer. Must be available for a paid working interview of up to two days onsite within 2 weeks of phone interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
About Catskill Animal Sanctuary
Catskill Animal Sanctuary is a 150-acre refuge in New York’s Hudson Valley for 10 species of farmed animals rescued from cruelty, neglect and abandonment. Over the years, thousands have come to this place of profound peace. They continue to come — sometimes one needy soul, sometimes a flock of 100 or more at a time. It is our privilege to help each and every rescued animal understand what love feels like.
Catskill Animal Sanctuary rescues farmed animals, ignites social change to end their exploitation, and champions vegan living.