Do you love farm animals? Come join our team!
Animal Care team members at Catskill Animal Sanctuary provide all the fundamental care required to ensure the physical and emotional health of our animals. As an animal caregiver, your responsibilities will include providing food and medications under the supervision of our Healthcare and Animal Care Managers, cleaning shelters and independent execution of daily tasks. Animal Caregivers may also develop deep concentrations in farm animal species and lead in the enrichment and care of those animals. This position is fast-paced, primarily outdoors and physically challenging. Successful candidates will be accustomed to and thrive in such a work environment.
The responsibilities for this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure the exceptional care, both physical and psychological, of each resident
- Clean stalls, barns, enclosures and bird coops
- Complete feed runs and monitor water levels
- Complete feed set-up including some daily medicines as needed
- Participate in animal enrichment activities
- Perform daily medication administration and treatments with oversight by the Healthcare team
- Monitor animals’ health
- Assist in guiding and training of interns, new staff, and volunteers
- Other duties as assigned
- Accurate and up-to-date data entry and record keeping of animal health, daily maintenance and facility needs
- Help maintain bedding and feed inventories
- Participating in staff and management meetings as needed
- Timely and professional response to emails and other communications
- Hands-on farmed animal experience (e.g. goats, cows, chickens, sheep, horses, etc.) including basic knowledge of animal care, anatomy and compassionate behavioral training preferred.
- Consistent and referable employment history
- The desire to be part of a team dedicated to building best practices across the entire organization
- The emotional maturity to model a friendly, positive tone with staff, volunteers, visitors and other professionals at all times–in other words, to live our “lead with love” ethos.
- Strong organizational skills with a proven ability to manage multiple priorities and projects in fast-paced work environment
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to work well with a variety of staff and external partners in accordance with our Code of Conduct
- Ability to perform necessary duties in enclosed & open environments in all weather conditions through the year including ability to lift 50-75 lbs on a regular basis
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Willingness to work weekends and holidays
Please have an understanding of Catskill Animal Sanctuary’s mission of providing care to rescued farm animals and supporting the social change towards veganism prior to applying. See our website www.casanctuary.org
This is a full-time position. Will have a 90-day probationary period. Benefits include paid vacations and healthcare coverage.
Candidates must be available to be added to the schedule and commute to work within four weeks of offer. We also request availability for a paid working interview of up to two days onsite within 2 weeks of phone interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
About Catskill Animal Sanctuary
Catskill Animal Sanctuary is a 150-acre refuge in New York’s Hudson Valley for 10 species of farmed animals rescued from cruelty, neglect and abandonment. Over the years, thousands have come to this place of profound peace. They continue to come — sometimes one needy soul, sometimes a flock of 100 or more at a time. It is our privilege to help each and every rescued animal understand what love feels like.
Catskill Animal Sanctuary rescues farmed animals, ignites social change to end their exploitation, and champions vegan living.