Job Title: Animal Caregiver
Job Status: Part time with potential for growth
Position: The Animal Caregiver assists in the care of all the farm animals living at the sanctuary under supervision of the Animal Care Director and Sanctuary Founder. The Animal Caregiver will ensure the safety, happiness, and proper care of the animal residents. The Animal Caregiver is responsible for assisting with the daily cleaning, feeding, and medical care of the animals, as well as working alongside other staff and volunteers, Animal Care Director, and Sanctuary Founder. They will work directly with daily volunteers, oversee their training, and initiate volunteers moving up in level and taking on more responsibilities when appropriate. The Animal Caregiver will act as the lead caregiver when on shift without the Animal Care Director, managing volunteers and daily animal care.
Reports to: Animal Care Director and Sanctuary Founder
• Animal feeding/watering.
• Daily animal health care and maintaining treatment records.
• Daily cleaning duties and maintaining the animal care areas.
• Weekly staff meetings and one on one meetings with supervisors.
• Supervise sanctuary volunteers as needed.
• Cooperate with fellow caregiving staff.
• Assist with veterinary visits as needed.
• Complete miscellaneous projects as needed.
• Order food/bedding for animals through appropriate channels.
• Work with Animal Care Director to continuously develop animal care best practices.
• Passionate about working for and with farmed animals
• Previous farmed animal sanctuary experience preferred, and willingness to learn
• Reliable and dependable
• Strong leadership skills
• Good animal behavior and observation skills
• Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including cold/wet weather
• Able to lift 40-50 pounds and perform strenuous/manual labor
• Works well with a variety of people
• Strong communication and listening skills
• Able to follow detailed instructions and meet time sensitive demands
• Able to learn and process new information quickly
• Team player and self-motivated
• Comfortable dealing politely with the general public
• Committed to Charlie’s Acres mission
• Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record (subject to verification)
• Willing to be vegan on site
Hours/Days: 20-30 hours a week with room to grow, days off vary; schedule subject to change at any time, required to work most scheduled holidays.
About Charlie's Acres Farm Animal Sanctuary
Charlie’s Acres is a farm animal sanctuary that rescues farm animals that were abused or destined for slaughterhouses. The mission of the sanctuary is to educate people on the humane treatment of animals and plant-based food options through spending time with animals, attending vegan dinners, and going on tours of the sanctuary. We believe that positive changes for animals and for health can be made by anyone, even through small steps.
Charlie’s Acres is a 38 acre property in a popular wine tasting region in Sonoma county.