Summary: As a vital member of the Sanctuary team, the Caregiver, Wellness provides essential daily needs to the residents. They assist in helping achieve optimal wellbeing for all the residents which includes their physical, emotional, cognitive and social health. The Caregiver, Wellness should have a strong desire and ability to perform hands-on work and a personal commitment to improving the lives of farmed animals. They must be able to complete all the responsibilities with the ability to expand into other areas depending on interest and experience.
- Carry out and maintain Animal feeding and watering schedules
- Perform animal health care tasks and treatments
- Identify common health issues
- Discuss treatment options
- Prepare and administer medications
- Display a basic understanding of medications
- Dose medications
- Observe and document animal behaviors and wellness
- Complete shelter projects as assigned such as feed ordering, med ordering, charting
- Provide daily enrichment
- Assist with veterinarian appointments
- Participate in health checks
- Perform proper animal handling techniques
- Partake in wellness meetings
- Explore innovative techniques including cooperative care, holistic care, etc.
- Prolonged periods of standing and walking throughout sanctuary grounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting (up to 50 lbs regularly; team-lift heavier amounts regularly)
- Must be able to bend, lift, push, stoop, stretch, climb, and crawl and other strenuous physical activities
- Must be able to regularly perform job responsibilities work in a variety of weather conditions; almost all work is done in outdoor setting that is not climate controlled
- One year experience at animal-care facility, preferred, and/or animal-advocacy volunteer history
- Keen animal behavior observation skills
- Demonstrates ability to follow detailed instructions and perform animal care duties as assigned
- Ability to work well with a variety of people and contribute to a healthy team environment
- Reliable and dependable with timeliness and attendance
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s animal care policies
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record, preferred
- Alignment with Farm Sanctuary’s values of compassion, understanding, integrity, transformation, and freedom.
- Familiarity, commitment to, and experience with the practice of equity and social justice, and the principles embedded in Farm Sanctuary’s mission
We embrace candidates from a range of backgrounds and experiences, regardless of whether they satisfy all the specified requirements. We encourage you to apply, even if you have an unconventional or non-traditional background.
- Terms of employment: Permanent full-time, non-exempt position
- Reports to: Senior Manager, Wellness
- Pay: $20.00 per hour
- Location: Acton, CA
- Travel: Occasional travel may be required to assist with transport for animal adoptions or rescues
- Benefits: Competitive benefits package, including 13 paid holidays; generous paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; long-term disability insurance; free access to the CALM meditation app; and access to the Nivati wellness platform
- Additional Specifications: Work schedule varies; regular weekend and holiday availability required; evening hours may be required during summer months
- Stage 1: 30-minute phone interview with a member of our Human Resources team
- Stage 2: 1-hour video interview with a member of our Animal Care team
- Stage 3: Two or three day onsite working interview
- Stage 4: Job offer
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace where all employees are respected, valued, and feel a sense of belonging. We work hard to provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type. We take our duty seriously to protect employees with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We believe that our prioritization of diversity, equity, and inclusion is a strength and essential to achieving our mission. A diverse workforce brings many perspectives, ideas, and experiences, leading to more creative and effective solutions to our complex issues. By embracing diversity and creating an inclusive environment, we foster a culture of belonging where innovation and growth can thrive. We are dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our organization, including hiring and recruitment practices, employee development and training, and interactions with the communities we serve. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are core components in fulfilling our mission of rescuing and protecting farmed animals from cruelty, and we are committed to creating a culture of respect, civility, and compassion for all.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work products and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.
About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.