Shelter Caregiver Assistants are part of a team of shelter workers who are assigned one of four animal care areas each day: barn cleaning, animal feeding and watering, shelter projects, or animal health care assistance. Shelter workers must be able to complete any of the four areas assigned and complete all tasks assigned within these animal care areas. Shelter Caregiver Assistants should have a strong desire and ability to do hands-on shelter work and a personal commitment to rescuing and protecting farm animals. Shelter Caregiver Assistants are vital team members of our shelters, where providing quality animal care is the number one priority.
- Animal feeding and maintaining animal-feeding schedules
- Animal watering and maintaining animal-watering schedules
- Barn cleaning
- Shelter cleaning projects as assigned
- Assisting with animal health care and health checks
- Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work product and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary
- Good animal-behavior observation skills
- Able to work in all weather conditions
- Able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting
- Must be able to follow detailed instructions and maintain animal-care schedules as assigned
- Ability to work well with a variety of people
- Team player
- Very reliable and dependable
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s animal-care policies
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s organizational programs and goals
- One year experience at animal-care facility preferred and/or animal-advocacy volunteer history
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- Work schedule varies; regular weekend and holiday availability required
- Evening hours may be required during the summer months
- Occasional travel may be required to assist with transport for animal adoptions or rescues
- Competitive benefits package, including 13 paid holidays; generous paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; long-term disability insurance and free access to the CALM meditation app.
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or age.
About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.