The Content Director is the lead editorial voice on Farm Sanctuary’s busy in-house communications team working to amplify the issues and programming driving the Farm Sanctuary mission. The Content Director is responsible for leading ideation and creation of mission-aligned content designed to build an audience and deepen engagement. As a member of the Farm Sanctuary team, you will promote animal protection, plant-based and vegan living, social justice, environmental stewardship, and highlight the interrelated issues of oppression central to our food system. Your creativity and content will convert the curious to members, bolster revenue-generating initiatives and engage new audiences in our mission-driven programmatic efforts.
- Work with the Chief Communications Officer to set overall content strategy
- Manage a creative team of 5 including writers, photo/video producers, and a social specialist
- Manage ideas meetings and create a cross-platform editorial calendar, plus creative and content guidelines
- Write and edit long and short-form editorial, video scripts, marketing copy, tag lines, infographics, presentations
- Collaborate with the Marketing Director and programmatic team leads on messaging and campaign creation, plus distribution strategy
- Write and review content with an equity, diversity, and social justice lens
- Maintain and grow Farm Sanctuary’s content library, packaging and repackaging content to meet programmatic needs, and build an audience
- Oversee and support social strategy and campaigns to grow audience
- Serve as managing editor of Sanctuary: Farm Sanctuary’s bi-annual magazine
- Oversight of FS.org homepage strategy
- Glean insight from industry trends and customer behavior in order to build a more effective editorial calendar
- Use social and Google Analytics to make informed content strategy decisions
- Optimize content for search and social
- Cultivate and manage a pool of freelance editorial talent
- 8-10 years of experience writing, reporting, line-editing, and packaging content
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, as well as the ability to adopt the style, tone, and voice of our business’ various types of content
- SEO experience or willingness to learn
- Ability to work well as part of a diverse cross-country team, keeping others informed, and highlighting opportunities and risks associated with campaigns and projects
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience entering content in WordPress or other CMS templates
- Basic HTML proficiency
- Critical thinking and accountability
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines while effectively managing multiple projects with creativity and flexibility
- Detail-oriented with an ability to experiment and draw insights from data
- An analytical mind and the ability to use data to optimize audience development strategies and tactics
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage projects with many moving parts
- Full-time, exempt position
- Los Angeles or New York City preferred. Remote may be considered.
- Competitive benefits package, including 13 paid holidays; generous paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; long-term disability insurance and free access to the CALM meditation app
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or age.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work product and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.
About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.