Assistant, Ethology Research
Initial Application Review: October 7, 2022
Summary: The Research Department at Farm Sanctuary performs original animal behavior, personality, emotion, cognition, welfare, and behavior research in pursuance of a better understanding of the inner lives of farmed animals. The Ethology Research Assistant will assist the Research Team with data collection for their ongoing studies.
- Assist with video data collection as part of non-invasive, sanctuary-based research studies at Farm Sanctuary contributing to the body of research on the emotional, social, and cognitive lives of farm animals.
- Perform literature reviews in support of new and existing research and animal welfare projects
- Provide administrative support for research program
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in animal behavior, animal welfare, biology, zoology, psychology, animal ethics, or related field
- Excellent observational skills
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s goals and programs
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Hard-working and dependable
- Able to work well independently
- Alignment with Farm Sanctuary’s values of compassion, understanding, integrity, transformation, and freedom.
- Familiarity, commitment to, and experience with the practice of equity, social justice, and the principles embedded in Farm Sanctuary’s mission.
- This is a non-exempt, temporary position.
- This position is remote.
- The pay for this position is $24.00 an hour.
- This position requires a commitment of 20 hours per week. Schedule is flexible.
- A three month commitment is preferred, with some flexibility.
- The individual in this position is eligible to participate in our 403(b) plan.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work product and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability or age.
About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.