The Future Food System Manager will oversee the creation and implementation of Farm Sanctuary’s future food system projects. Under the supervision of our general counsel and research director, the position will ensure that Farm Sanctuary achieves maximum impact within the farm transition movement.
- Oversee and conduct comprehensive research designed to create
- Pathways for current or transitioning animal farmers to access government funds to facilitate farm transitions and support plant-based farming initiatives
- State and federal policy and legislative strategies to support farm transitions and plant-based farming initiatives
- Litigation opportunities aimed at dismantling the supports that uphold inequitable and unsustainable practices in our food system
- Explore opportunities to facilitate land access for farmers of color, such as the creation of a land grant trust or support of an existing land grant trust.
- Collaborate with Farm Sanctuary’s communications team on the creation of compelling campaign materials
- Explore and secure collaborations with animal rights, worker rights, social justice, farmer, and environmental organizations, to expand support for Farm Sanctuary’s legislative priorities and to support aligned initiatives led by partner organizations
- Manage lobbying programs and pro bono policy research support
- Work with the Research Director to manage research consultants
- Perform other assigned duties
- Preferred minimum of 3-5 years public affairs, government relations or advocacy work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly flexible and adaptable to ever-changing internal and external environments
- Self-motivated team player who enjoys managing people and creating relationships
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, troubleshoot, and follow through in a timely manner, ensuring project completion
- Demonstrated interest in and support of the mission and campaigns of Farm Sanctuary
- Food system knowledge preferred, or an eagerness to learn required
- This full-time position is based in Washington DC or is a remote home office position with the ability to travel as needed
- Salary commensurate with experience
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or age.
About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.