Remote in New York (preferred) or Los Angeles, CA
Initial Application Review: October 7, 2022
Farm Sanctuary is seeking a visionary and strategic Director of Events to plan, produce and manage all Farm Sanctuary events including a 2023 fundraising benefit.
The Director, Events oversees and manages the planning, production, design, management and implementation of a comprehensive events strategy that promotes increased visitation, affinity, and philanthropic support for the organization through events as a powerful experiential touchpoint. Leveraging Farm Sanctuary’s distinctive mission, brand, and identity, this position creates the annual schedule of events (live and virtual) which successfully engage the full range of organizational constituents, from first-time visitors to top supporters, fostering an awareness of and connection to farm animals as individuals and educating youth and adults about the lives of animals and interrelated issues of oppression in our food system
This position oversees the strategy, planning, and production of all onsite and offsite member, donor and community engagement events, including Farm Sanctuary’s major annual fundraising Gala, stewardship and cultivation events, Sanctuary Weekend and sanctuary events in New York and California.
As supervisor of (1) full-time Assistant Manager, Events based in Los Angeles, this position provides overall vision and day-to-day direction to Farm Sanctuary’s Events team and plays a lead role in setting and reinforcing Farm Sanctuary’s standards for engaging and impactful events. Candidates must have proven experience managing, supporting, leading and mentoring a direct-report. Deep commitment to support diversity, equity, and inclusion on their team, in event programming and the organization.
- 5-8 years relevant experience planning and overseeing complex events
- Solid experience planning, producing and managing a fundraising benefit gala
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing, planning, and implementing events for diverse constituencies
- Strong leadership and experience managing and mentoring direct reports
- Demonstrated leadership and relationship management experience with the ability to represent the organization externally and alongside key stakeholders and high-level donors and public figures
- Ability to interface directly with donors, celebrities, host committee members, chairs and board members
- Possess a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice and committed to advancing these values on the events team and within the broader organization
- Relevant experience at a non-profit organization, particularly within the animal protection and advocacy movement
- Ability to translate organizational identity, ideas, direction, and themes into creative events and experiences that meet all expectations
- Revenue and audience development
- Ability to travel to both both sanctuary locations and other national events
- Alignment with Farm Sanctuary’s values of compassion, understanding, integrity, transformation, and freedom.
- Familiarity, commitment to, and experience with the practice of equity, social justice, and the principles embedded in Farm Sanctuary’s mission.
In addition, strong candidates will offer experience in:
- Developing and leading an events strategy aligned with Farm Sanctuary’s brand narrative and vision, and formulating a plan to turn storytelling opportunities into impactful experiences
- Designing efficient workflow for events that ladder up to mission and strategic priorities
- Conceptualizing and producing best-in-class events to drive engagement and deliver an integrated plan for event executions for both custom and tentpole events
- Developing a deep understanding of our audiences, their needs and wants related to event experiences, on a micro and macro level to create content and drive strategy around events
- Analyzing current suite of events, respective goals and audience segments to maximize impact
- Positioning events as a valuable touchpoint within the organization to support programmatic, communications, development and organizational goals
- Establishing event goals and budget: gather and track ROI, engagement analytics, and feedback to consistently assess and implement opportunities for improvement
- Developing a matrix of success metrics and process for evaluating all major events against objectives with focus on end-to-end planning
- Advising leadership and peer groups regarding event strategy, objectives and program goals, making recommendations to achieve maximum impact for Farm Sanctuary
- Building relationships across teams to support in-flight and future events; seeking input from and drive consensus among internal stakeholders on messaging, positioning, creative approach and content
- Working with outside Celebrity Relations Consultant and other consultants on fundraising benefit gala as primary point of contact
- Partnering with communications to integrate promotional outreach and support of event programs
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- The position is remote.
- The salary is $80,000-99,000, commensurate with experience.
- Travel as needed to support Farm Sanctuary priorities, including personal cultivation and solicitation, strategic communications, and special events.
- Competitive benefits package, including 13 paid holidays; generous paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; long-term disability insurance and free access to CALM meditation app and the Nivati wellness platform
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work product and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability or age.
About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.