***Initial Application Review: September 16, 2022***
Primarily an external-facing leader, the Chief of External Affairs is an exceptional catalyst, creating innovative resource opportunities, and will work to increase the visibility, credibility, and sustainability of Farm Sanctuary.
A seasoned executive-level professional, the Chief of External Affairs is responsible for planning, managing, and overseeing the implementation of activities that increase, diversify and sustain the organization’s public image and brand. This position will be charged with creating and implementing public relations, marketing, and communications strategies; planning, organizing, and directing events in line with brand goals to drive revenue as well as expanding visitor experience/activities at sanctuaries, developing fundraising opportunities in partnership with the Chief Development Officer; overseeing department budgeting; building and fostering relationships with constituents; and developing new and innovative strategies to diversify exposure and funding opportunities for the organization.
Leading the Marketing, Communications, Experience, and Events this individual will develop and drive overall strategies for communications, marketing areas, and sanctuary experience areas ensuring consistent external and internal messaging and consistency with mission and strategic goals set by the board of directors. This position will be charged with developing innovative ways to bring in new audiences, explore opportunities to use sanctuaries and facilities for new opportunities, develop cause-related marketing campaigns, and forge partnerships that strengthen Farm Sanctuary’s brand and increase opportunities for revenue.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, this position is a member of the Executive Team and will oversee the Director of Communications, Director of Marketing, and The Director of Sanctuary Experience, and work closely with advocacy, education and community engagement, and animal care and rescue teams on all external facing events, outreach, and materials.
- Develop and lead the overall strategy for Farm Sanctuary to achieve marketing and communications goals and align external and internal brand messaging across the organization.
- Develop metrics to measure the impact of outreach and communication campaigns.
- Develop channels and opportunities to attract new audiences, and work with development teams to monetize aspects of the outreach.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to maximize revenue and brand goals
- Engage in and enact research related to Farm Sanctuary’s position in the field and in the philanthropic ecosystem and create external messaging to maximize ROI
- Coordinate development, marketing, and partnerships activities and strategies to meet aligned goals with the CDO.
- Work with Animal Care and Rescue leadership to research and explore new innovative ways to use Sanctuary properties for outreach and experience.
- Work with the Director of Social Justice Initiatives on best practices for internal and external content and messaging in alignment with equity and social justice.
- Support the development and execution of Farm Sanctuary’s burgeoning advocacy, community engagement, education, animal care and rescue, and equity and social justice agenda by supporting this work with maximum public exposure and alignment of narrative across departments.
- Support the expansion of Farm Sanctuary’s financial support and grow our network of influential friends and allies by overseeing celebrity ambassadors
- Develop a deep network of VIPs and celebrity ambassadors to uplift Farm Sanctuary’s reach and visibility in the public.
- Work with development to convert new audiences to become supporters of Farm Sanctuary, financial, volunteer and board members.
- Develop organization-wide culture and process for relationship building, cultivation, and brand building consistent with organizational values of equity and social justice and in tandem with the Education & Community Engagement team’s Community Partners Hub.
- Collaborate with the Director of Social Justice Initiatives on a strategic plan to ensure a positive and affirming experience for BIPoC community members when engaging with Farm Sanctuary’s social media and other media content.
- Work with the co-founder to maximize Farm Sanctuary’s voice in the farm sanctuary movement, and create opportunities for the co-founder and other staff to speak and represent the relevant issues to public audiences and donors.
- Develop and oversee protocols for staff for external speaking engagements.
- Develop new channels for Farm Sanctuary’s founder and staff to elevate the Farm Sanctuary voice in the public sphere whether through podcasts, masterclasses, Ted Talks, events, books, op-eds, media placements and social media presence.
- Act as a brand manager to ensure consistent brand narrative and messaging for external and internal communications.
- Lead and support work of Communications and Marketing, and Sanctuary Experience teams
- Optimize internal systems and processes to support financial compliance, ensure aligned brand messaging, and provide regular reporting to internal and external stakeholders
- As a leader in the organization:
- Exemplify Farm Sanctuary’s values in relationship with internal and external stakeholders,
- Support the development of organization-wide culture and process for relationship building, cultivation, revenue generation, and brand building consistent with organizational values of equity and social justice and, in tandem with the Education & Community Engagement team’s Community Partners Hub, and grow our network of influential friends, allies, and celebrities
Experience & Attributes:
- At least 8 years of senior leadership experience in a nonprofit context at progressive levels of responsibility with evidence of driving successful marketing and communications outcomes.
- Proven experience and success with developing and implementing innovative events and experiences for non-profit organizations.
- Experience or knowledge of non-profit advocacy, education, and community engagement with diverse audiences and constituencies.
- Demonstrated experience excelling at data-driven strategizing and implementation to achieve measurable results in organizational growth while maintaining quality, impact and values
- Excellent communications skills (written and oral), is dynamic, authentically inspires confidence and connection to mission, can pitch without inhibition, and is comfortable thinking big
- Demonstrated leadership experience, inspiring teams to successfully achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Experience with Salesforce preferred
- Experience creating effective cross team collaboration for maximum impact.
- Experience aligning strategic priorities and equity & social justice with communications and marketing activities.
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- This position is based remotely.
- The salary range is $130,400 – $146,700 commensurate with experience.
- Competitive benefits package, including 13 paid holidays; generous paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; long-term disability insurance; free access to CALM meditation app and the Nivati wellness platform
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work products and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or age.
About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.